Accepting that large format gear could not deliver a Galen Rowell-run-

a-mile-at-13,000 feet-with-handheld-35mm-to-position-a-rainbow-over-

the-Potala Palace-type shot , what do you LF photographers do to

hasten your set-up time in rapidly changing, interesting light? And

in particular -how might you have your camera bag and gear arranged

to speed things along? I read for example that some people have cable

releases already attached to each lens. I tried that, but then broke

one in the bag.

Hope the long adjective above was not too jarring.

Cheers

I have cable releases set on my lenses. They are still in one piece. I've found the shorter ones to work better. Tightened 'em slightly with pliers. I keep my bag packed the same way and put everthing back where it goes. Not only can I just reach and grab something, but I can also tell if I missed something. I've been shooting for just a few months and am just using Polapan55. It helps that I'm comfortable with the film and just looking at light and darkness, rather than adding color into the mix. I also do, while relaxing at night, set up my 4x5 and fiddle with it, in an attempt to know it inside and out......Warren

All my own work, box is 3mm aircraft ply covered with sticky back felt inside and Rexine outside. There is a MK2 now, modified the ALICE pack frame to be 2" higher by inverting the bottom brackets, now carries a new box and a big Gitzo, but is much the same. I had to put the tripod the other side so I can look over my right shoulder when motorcycling (UK, drive on left). Oh and better feet.

I practiced being familiar and quick. I set up and took down my 4x5 50 times before I was so bored I couldn't stand it. Did 25 with my 8x10. Bored, but I know them well and am really efficient with them.

Practiced knowing my shutters by feel. When is it open? Closed? Where is f16? I do it from behind the camera with my eyes closed. I, too, keep cable releases attached, but if it falls off, I just trip the shutter. Gotta get the picture.

I can probably get my 4x5 Wista mounted, lensed, leveled, and focused almost as fast as a 35mm shooter can. 8x10 takes a little longer because it's a Sinar Norma monorail with all the bits to assemble.

Out in the field (meaning, in the car), all cameras are unfolded, lensed, and wrapped in darkcloths. ALl I need to do is mount them on tripods and go. I like to work fast with the equipment, slowly with the image.

One route for quick set up to consider is the possibility of getting a viewfinder for your camera, and setting up your camera to be a big "point and shoot".<p>

I went to Paris in the spring, and wanted to shoot LF (that's mostly what I shoot), but didn't want to be slowed down with a tripod. I got a viewfinder that most closely matched my 72mm XL, put a bracket with a cable release on my camera, and shot that way. It was pretty successful. I just carried around the camera and a small bag with a meter and a dozen film holders. (I have samples in my folder, if you want to see them...)

b.

i have done HABS/HAER work for the past 20 years or so, and there were many days when i needed to shoot upwards of 100 frames. obviously, planning the day to capture the light where i needed it, given the subject, was a major pre-shoot task, though i generally knew exactly what i needed to get done in a day - you may not have that luxury.

at any rate, i used the kodak readyload system, which saved me a great deal of time in several ways. i also used a "california cooler" bag for my camera, so that the camera was always ready to go right out of the bag - just pull it out, slam it on the tripod, setup the shot, meter it, slam in the back, insert film, shoot 3 frames of each shot and move on. i carried the bag which had nothing in it but the camera, a second bag (a medium sized bag from eddie bauer) that carried my film, two extra lenses (the 90mm stayed onthe camera, kept the 135 and 210 in the bag), my meter, and a few small tools and accessories, and i carried my tripod - i could tote the whole setup for miles in a day to get shots in remote inaccessible areas. hope this helps.<div>00AbTy-21132684.jpg.d08364fa7f82061c0c4eb901e03e4367.jpg</div>

Unfold and mount camera on tripod at the car, carry it whole, over your shoulder or just in your hand. Rotating through two hands and two shoulders, you can walk pretty far, pretty easily, carrying the camera mounted on the tripod.

Be satisfied with one lens, at infinity, and no filters. If possible, take one meter reading, set the lens, and leave it. Focus once on infinity, and leave it.

Actually, I suspect that standard filmholders could be faster than ReadyLoads, since they are already loaded, so the issue changes into being able to carry as many as you need. Also, hasty handling is a great way to ruin a ReadyLoad, in a number of ways.

And don't worry about the one that got away, there will always be some that get away; put it behind you, and go get the next one.

And finally, remember the koan of my brother, the Zen Buddhist: "Arrive early and wait." Insofar as you can follow that advice, you will never miss anything.

Cheers,

If the weather is changing rapidly it can be very interesting -- While shooting a single thunderstorm last summer I had the light changing so often and quickly that I pretty much didn't have time to take a meter reading and set the lens between changes. I managed to get some good exposures -- but often that was the result of compensation on the fly for the changing light by guessing at the change in the light and bracketing. That particularly day I also got caught by the rain -- so covered the camera with a shower cap. while I packed everything up.

One thing to consider is if you spend alot of time in places that are interesting to shoot pictures of -- the likelyhood of a great shot -- snowstorm, lightning, rainbows, awesome sunset -- showing up at the good place you are increases. I can imagine running a mile with my camera over my shoulder for a great shot -- and then having it fade just as I got set up. It is better to be on time. I often carry a faster camera with me -- in the event that there just isn't time.

And keep a light sabre handy in case you need to liven things up.

I got snowed on alot over the holiday -- it was extra sweet when it stopped.

http://www.shawnkielty.com/Panamint/PanamintSunset.jpg -- not LF -- but does help serve my point.