I hesitate: DX 18-70 lens or 28/80 + 70/300 lenses?

I plan to buy a Nikon D70 in the next days. However, I hesitate in 2

possibilities:

- buy a Nikon D70 + AF-S DX 18-70 -> 1 080 euros

- buy a Nikon D70 + 28/80 + 70/300 -> 1 045 euros

Those 2 packs are available on the French market. I plan to use my D70

mainly outdoors. I take thousands of pictures per year of racing

motorcycles. Therefore, I think the 300mm would be useful for sports

pictures. However, I can't get any information about the 28/80 and

70/300 Nikkor lenses (it's an official Nikon pack). Are those lenses

sharp? How do they compare to the AF-S DX 18-70 lense? BTW, I already

know the 28mm will render as a 42mm on a 24x35 camera. That does not

worry me, since I rarely shot pictures inside.

Thank you.<div>00B3yj-21763784.jpg.b9a0cd2dfa1380846213bbfa4f948d43.jpg</div>

I'm assuming the 70-300 is the "G" lens... Not too fast, and might be less than ideal for motorcycle racing. I'd think you'd be better served by the 70-200 or 80-200 f/2 (of course you budget may be an entirely different thing).

The 18-70dx is extremely sharp for its price, and will serve the D70 quite well. I'm not experienced with the 28-80, but I'd go with the 18-70 and a higher end faster 70-200 f/2 VR zoom.

Like I said, might not fit your budget, but it WILL make you happy.

Well, one of the lenses you talk about is FAR FAR out of my budget. I already read some good reviews of the DX 18-70 lens. However, a 105mm 24x36 equivalent lens isn't enough for motorbike shooting.

Is AF really a must for motorbike shooting? Can't I use a manual focusing lens (I could find such a lens at an affordable price)?

Why not the 18-70 and the 70-300. The kit lens is quite satisfactory for most people. I have the G 70-300 and it's not great but it is serviceable and if your budget is tight, it may be the way to go--gets you an effective 450 lens for about $100 in the US. A VR lens probably isn't going to help you much since you'll be shooting outdoors with high shutter speed to capture your subject. If you could find a faster zoom or prime on the used market within your budget, I'd probably take that over the g 70-300.

If you *have* to have 300mm - then you've answered your own question - you have to buy

one of the 75-300 lenses as your primary lens. Get whatever other lens you can afford.

I've got the 18-70, and I like it. Performance seems good. I'm sure the Nikon range

includes better lenses, but only at very high prices so I;m content.

For me, the wide end of the 18-70 is barely wide enough. I would have preferred 15mm....

The 28-80 would never satisfy me. But, I'm not shooting bikes on the track!

I wouldn't even consider not getting the 18-70mm kit lens unless you also get a wide zoom/prime. 28mm on the D70 is like 42mm on a 35mm - you'll constantly be stepping backwards and pressing yourself up against walls!

If you're spending this much money on the body surely you can justify spending an extra EUR100 on glass.

• 3 weeks later...