Nikon 500 Scanner Questions

I would like to set Digital Ice to be enabled as the default for scanning but I

cannot find any way to do it. It appears that I must click the box for every scan.

Can it be done?

Given that I will edit images in Photoshop, is it better to scan with Nikon

Colour Management on or off? My monitor is profiled and I want to get the

scans to Adobe RGB for editing. Any advice appreciated. I am seeking top

quality.

In NikonScan, under the Settings button, select "Set Current." Any thumbnails scanned from that point will take the new settings. If you already have thumbnails, select them using ctrl-click for onesies or shift-click for everything between that thumbnail and the first one selected. Then select "Use current setting," or something to that effect.

You can save or recall the current settings under a name of your choosing. If you close normally (not a crash), the current settings become the default the next time you start NikonScan.

The scanner is a Nikon 5000 of course. Thanks for the advice. It appears

also that using the preference to automatically enable Digital Ice for previews

sets it as a default for scanning as well.

I feel that the correct way to get for consistent colour (ie so that the monitor

colour matches the printed output) is to turn Nikon Colour Management off,

and when opening the file in Photoshop (it will have no embedded scanner

profile), select my calibrated monitor profile in the dialog box (ie, not Adobe

RGB 1998) and check the box for convert to Adobe RGB for working space.

Is this correct or should I NOT convert to working Adobe RGB? Thanks for

any advice.

<i> I feel that the correct way to get for consistent colour (ie so that the monitor colour matches the printed output) is to turn Nikon Colour Management off, and when opening the file in Photoshop (it will have no embedded scanner profile), select my calibrated monitor profile in the dialog box (ie, not Adobe RGB 1998) and check the box for convert to Adobe RGB for working space.</i><p>

Wayne, first of all let me heartily recommended the book 'Real World Color Management' by Bruce Fraser, to help you understand the basics of Color Management. You won't find a better book on the subject. I have studied it and I am all the better for it. The goal of color management is quite simple -- to let *COLORS* remains consistent as you move files from device to device by fudging the numerical *VALUES* (RGB, etc) in the files. I will leave the details to the book which you must read. <p>

Having said that, the surest way to get poor colors from your cs5000 is turn off color management! Nikon Color Management is quite good and it is there for a reason. The purpose is to embed profiles in scans that lets other applications/device interpret its colors. Remember all devices see/produce color differently and without an embedded profile or a tag, an image file is at best a poor approximation of the original capture. To make a long story short, you absolutely NEED to have the Nikon ADOBE-RGB profile embedded to get true colors later on.

The simplest way is to have Nikon scan do that for you, or else you can later *assign* that profile manually in PS(Assigning a profile is quite different from Converting to a profile) If you assign any other profile but this one, your original colors (from the slide) will be lost. You can however CONVERT to any other profile in PhotoShop, but your starting profile must again always be Nikon Adobe RGB (assuming thats the color space you are scanning in). And finally when you are ready to print just convert to your printer/paper's colors pace after you are done editing. <p>

Once again- when you are converting from one color space to another, you are not changing the colors themselves (thats the whole point!), you are merely changing the RGB values so that in the new space the new numbers preserve the same colors.