<p>I intend on visiting Denali in Mid to Late June of this year to

build my landscape portfolio a little more, and pretty much plan on

backpacking wherever I go. It seems to make sense to catch one of

the buses and get off in one of the remote camps, then hike from

there.<p>

<p>I have 8 days planned for my trip. It's hard for me to decide

where to go, as there are so many different locations that offer

beautiful scenics. Any suggestions? I'll be shooting with my Mamiya

RZ67, but will have my EOS 3 and probably a 400mm lens for wildlife.

The focus will be on landscape scenics, but I don't want to miss

opportunities for wildlife either!<p>

<p>Of all of you that have been there before, where do I have the

best chance of getting a good variety of landscape scenics?<p>

<p>Your input is much appreciated!<p>

Ben Chase

<p>http://chase.photoblink.com</p>

I think you can find good stuff just about anywhere in the Park. You will need to be out west to see the mountain, but those units can be harder to get and tend to have the most mosquitoes. If you get a sunny stretch, you might spend a couple days in a western unit for mountain shots, and then move east.

There is a book on the backcountry of Denali (Backcountry Companion - Denali National Park and Preserve ) that describes the different units, possible routes, etc. I would get that book if you don?t already have it.

Ben I looked at your website & I see you know your craft.

I spent a week at Wonder Lake in early July. Great views of the Mountain & campground was mosquito infested. I rode the bus every day to a new spot. I would walk the road a few miles & catch another bus. I would do this again.

I am a backpacker;I did not backpack. You will find it difficult to walk most places due to scrub willow. Most of the trails you do find will be bear trails.

We all have different methods for photography & your needs may be different from mine.

You may look at the photos from my last trip here.

http://www.pbase.com/cwphoto/alaska

I was there with a group in August , didn't backpack though.

Be sure to get on the Denali website and find out what you need to do to reserve bus seat (yep, that's right) and permits. You most likely won't be able to just walk up to the desk and get what you want. It's actually a little complicated

Definatley Polychrome. If you have eight days I would suggest hiking around. Like others said basically anywhere in Denali is beautiful. Typically I set up a main camp at Wonder Lake. Each morning I hop on the bus and get off when I feel like it. The drivers will stop wherever you tell them to.

If you get off and don't like where you are, don't worry another bus will be along soon that you can hop on. At the end of the day just make for the road and hop on a bus going in the wonder lake direction. It's very easy and simple with plenty of wildlife and beautiful mtns.

If you stay at wonder lake make sure you bring plenty of bug spray and a net for your face is an absolute must. Trust me, the last time I was there my arm was covered in mosquitos. I could not see the material of my jacket!

Also take the bus past wonder lake to Kantishna...beautiful beautiful.

If your flying out of anchorage stop at Sullivans Steakhouse in downtown. I work there. The best steak you have ever tasted.

Have fun, Ed

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much. This has been extremely helpful to hear from the folks that have been there.

Ron, I'll be picking up the book, thank you.

Ed, I think after all that hiking, I'm going to owe myself and the rest of my travelers a steak dinner, I'll stop there if I get a chance!

Ben