Elements 3.0 vs. Photoshop 7.0

Hi Lisa, Just thought I'd let you know that it sounds like you're getting a "hot" (and unsupported) copy of Photoshop 7.0 if it's just $79 - even if it is an older version. Anyhoo, having said that, Photoshop 7 would likely be a much more capable program, even though it lacks the Adobe Camera Raw program. Best wishes . . .

You want to clean up a photo or be a graphics designer. Started with Photoshop 4.0 Now using Elements 2. Crop, alignment, contrast, saturation, clone tool, upsharp mask, dodge/burn, and a few other tools (slide show so you can compair the orgional to several saves as you work) your tweeking a photo.

You can find these tools in almost all 'photo editing' software. I like Elements, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp, (Gimp is free).

If you want to do more than this then get Photoshop 7 and beat the hell out of our photo and you to can make any photo look like a ....

Lisa,

The price on PS7 is pretty hard to believe for a legit deal, as mentioned above.

I have PS7 and PSE 3. I'm tending towards using PSE 3 because of some of the added tools, such as photo filters, shadow/highlights, RAW image capture. I don't tend to use actions myself, or I might say that PS7 was more useful.

I believe the $299 upgrade is only for the OEM version of Elements that comes bundled with some hardware. You can't just buy a $79 piece of software and upgrade it for $299 to a $649 piece of software. Adobe is not dumb.

But you can buy a peripheral device, like a scanner, including bundled Elements and upgrade it to PS CS for a total price about the same as buying PS CS outright.

Bob Michaels

<p><b><i>I believe the $299 upgrade is only for the OEM version of Elements that comes bundled with some hardware. You can't just buy a $79 piece of software and upgrade it for $299 to a $649 piece of software. Adobe is not dumb.</i></b></p>

Well, I have a store-bought copy of PE3 and have twice been offered the $299 upgrade.

The $299 deal is really nice. I did it via the Elements 2.0 that came bundled with my 10D. When I made the purchase I did have to type in the serial number of my Elements 2.0 disk. Maybe that's a checking point adobe uses as to whether the disk is bundled software with digital cameras?

Buy Elements 3.0, Lisa, if you cannot afford Photoshop so you get Adobe support. My girlfriend has Elements 3.0- it is very nice, and even offers RAW processing if you shoot that way.

Stephen S: given your experience, I'd have to revise my thinking to conclude that Adobe is dumb. Why buy a $649 software program when you can buy a $79 one and upgrade it for $299?

I'm not questioning your veracity at all, but this still fails my "sounds too good to be true, therefore it probably is" test.

• 2 weeks later...