Quick question

tyler_pearce

I am new into the digital world. I was wondering...when people are

taking black and white pictures, are they generally taking them in

color and changing them in PS, or are they changing the setting in the

camera, and taking them all in black and white, then changing it when

they want color?

Thanks guys

Hi Tyler! Welcome to the digital world. I have been taking pictures digitally for almost 3 years now, but just recently professionally. If I know the person mainly wants color, I will take them all in color and then change the coloring if they want some in "black and white." But I have found that setting the camera to black and white, rather than transforming them in PS, look much better. The blacks are more black. So if they know they want black and whites, I will set my camera and vice versa if they want color.

You have much more control if you convert color to BW in Photoshop, using Channel Mixer for example. This is not simply desaturation! You can adjust the spectral response to emulate that of true BW film, including the use of BW filters. If you convert to BW in the camera, you lose all options.

I stand corrected on this, but the only digital camera I've owned that had a B/W and/or Sepia option is the Oly C-5050. I also have an Oly E-10, had a Canon 10D, and now use an Oly E-1. I don't think those have that option. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

I usually make the change in PS.