PhotoFolio - Flash/PHP Photo Portfolio App

I've written a flash/php photo portfolio application for people with

there own sites who want an easy but good looking way to post photos.

You can see an example of it here:

http://www.billwadman.com/photography/

and read all about it and download it for your own use here:

http://www.billwadman.com/photofolio/

I figured all of you might be interested in it.

Have a good one.

Bill Wadman

bill@billwadman.com

Looks very interesting. Just a few comments.

(1) Seems a little slow on a dialup, but that's probably unavoidable. It goes directly from 0% (wait...wiat...wait) to 100% with nothing inbetween, then there's another wait before the image appears.

(2) I don't like the way that both the menu text AND the cursor move when the list of files is longer than the screen. It's a bit like playing asteroids and you have to guess where the menu will end up so you can get the cursor on the right link!

(3) Some sort of thumbnail system is very, very, desirable.

Overall I think it's an elegant program and I'd guess it has a lot of potential.

An interesting solution. But it has one major problem, it requires a hosting account that allows file system access. So some of the less expensive hosting solutions may not work. I know of one that is less than $4 per month with plenty of diskspace and more bandwidth than many $20 per month. It also looks like it would have major problems with large numbers of images. Additionally, as it is

Flash, there may be problems with getting search engines to index the individual images.

All that said, it is one of the better Flash pages I have seen as it is not done to 640x480. Personally, I favor a data driven solution(read as using a database) as one can then give each page unique metadata for search engines. I am not sure how well this will work. Google fails to index all the pages on my current site, but my current site also fails to use metadata.

some thoughts,

Sean