Question about EF 50mm f1.4

min_wong1

This lens is a micro-USM lens, as opposed to ring-USM (ring USM is a bit better/faster). Micro-USM doesn't permit full time manual focusing <b>except</b> in the case of the 50 f/1.4: it has a unique plastic "kludge" gear to let you focus manually in AF mode. Unfortunately, a knock can often upset this little plastic part. The thing is, I can't say how much of a knock, or how often this happens. Actually, most people with a 50 f/1.4 seem to be pretty happy with them, so I doubt it's all that common. Hope this helps

Josh

<i>Many people said the USM of this lens often broke down</i>

<p>One of the reasons "many people" say this is because people often repeat what they read on the net. It may be true, but i would take everything what I read with a grain of salt. So it is said that it can break if one uses it often in FTM focus - as it is micro USM.

<br>I can't comment much on this as mine is only 4 months old and no problems so far.

Mine is 5 years old and still going strong. The only negative thing I can say about this lens

is AF is weak in low light (my EF 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM is better) and plenty 'o barrel

distortion nearer than 2 meters. Other than that it's perfect.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"So it is said that it can break if one uses it often in FTM focus - as it is micro USM."

Perhaps. However, I have the habit of almost always using FTM to prefocus and try out compositions. I grew with MF and it just seems natural. Plus it saves on battery use. Nevertheless, no sign of problems. My EF 50 1.4 USM lives on my Elan 7E.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I think the failure rate of the AF mechanism on this lens is probably higher than that of most other lenses due to the mechanism Canon used to implement FT-M on this lens. But AF mechanism failures are rather uncommon, so it's not something that's likely to happen.</p>

<p>I bought my 50/1.4 used in 2000; I don't know when it was manufactured (it doesn't have a date code). It was in very good, if not excellent, condition, but I don't know if that means it wasn't used much, or if it was used a lot but by someone who was careful with it. In any case, its operation has been flawless for me, and it takes lovely pictures.</p>

IIRC, the 50mm f/1.4 is micro-motor USM (as opposed to "ring" USM). Which boils down to, IIRC, the fact that the ring is actuated by a motor that touches a "point" of the ring; as opposed to the "ring" USM where the same ring is actuated by some electromagnetical field, which have no single point of stress.

<p>

So I imagine this lens suffers some stress at a specific physical point, as opposed to the "ring" USMs. Even if 50mm is not called "ring" USM I imagine there's a ring being actuated. This is all stuff I think I read on a Canon <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/technology/ultrasonic.html">website</a> a while back and my 50mm1.4 1yr old is acting perfectly despite heavy use. Focuses slowly in low light low contrast, but I don't care.

The focus mechanism on mine ground to a halt about two years ago after I had it for about two years. I sent it in to Canon for repair. The cost was approximately $100. It was the auto-focus clutch that went bad. It has worked well since. This is the common repair on this lens and while it is a common issue it is not that frequent, my guess is probably 5%-10%.

Mine worked perfectly for two years and then it fell to the floor one early morning. It worked well again at a cost of 100$. Then I hit it again and now it works but not as smoothly as before. I should do something about my hit frequency. A v.nice lens though.

• 1 year later...