Has anyone used a Westcott Halo??

ryan_wolstencroft

What are you going to be using it on? I have one, and use it with my Norman portable system--and I really like the effect I get with it. Nice big, round catchlights, soft lighting, etc.

I tend to prefer a softbox with my studio gear, for most purposes, but the Westcott Halos do a very nice job, are quick to set up & compact when broken down. It's a very useful, handy piece of gear, and the quality of light is quite good, too.

I use the Halo a great deal... it's only drawback is that it's so soft and that is only occasionally a problem. I've lit everything from paintings to a family of twenty five + people with them. Be sure to get the one suited to your strobe's head configuration... one allows for a fan to stick out the back and the other completely encloses the head. <p>If you use a strobe with a bright modeling light, it can get really hot inside the Halo, which shortens the life of lamps and other sensitive materials. I use an "A" clamp with my Lumedynes to keep the elastic band tight around the reflector, which is how the Halo extends back to the head. I prefer that version as it lets me access the modeling light switch on the back of the head and gives easy access to the sync outlet and test button on the back of the Lumedyne head. It also sets up/breaks down much faster. <p>Occasionally, when I need extra soft light, I'll use the version that completely encases the head, pointing it backwards in the Halo and use no reflector at all. The light then disperses throughout the silver interior and is further diffused when exiting the front panel... t<div>00AbY0-21133884.jpg.4ba9ab6cbb224eb00ac7858d317e176c.jpg</div>

thanks for the opinions guys. I'll be using it with an Alien Bees B1600. I'm still a poor college student and havnt movied into serious strobe territory yet, but i'm pleased with the AB so far. Do you guys feel that the Halo is a happy medium between a softbox and an umbrella? more of one than the other? can it be used without the diffuser on the front so it would pretty much just be an umbrella if i wanted to do that? that would really be ideal.

the front panel is not removeable. It is what it is and is different than either softbox (more directional) or an umbrella (more wrap and with a different edge).<p> The concave interior of an umbrella makes different light than the convex face of the Halo. One spreads light out (Halo) the other focuses light in (umbrella) to a certain point, where the light then crosses itself and also produces a harder penumbra on your subject. <p>In practical terms (ie: setup) the Halo is a softbox/umbrella, but it's light is softer at a distance than either, while an umbrella is softest at close range and a softbox offers better control over spill/direction. <p>They are not different ways to achieve the same results... t