Difference between SC-28 and SC-29 flash cord

joe_petrik

I have a nerdy question for the Nikon cognoscenti...

I have a D2H and plan to buy an SB-800 flash, SC-28/9 flash cord, and

Stroboframe Quick Flip 350 bracket.

I understand that the AF illuminator in the SC-29 is useful if you use

a flash off-axis. But as long I keep the flash in-line with the lens,

the way it tends to be when using a flash bracket, is there any

advantage in using an SC-29 cord over an SC-28? In other words, are

the two flash cords identical (full i-TTL control, full flash head

zoom control, etc.) except for the SC-29's having an AF illuminator

and the SC-28's not having one?

Joe

Joe

I use SC 17 cords with flip brackets on both of my cameras, D100-D70...One has a SB28DX and the other a 800 flash...Both work just great.. I do not think you would find any noticeable difference between the two cords you mentioned. I am not very tech minded but speak from expericence..I can not see why using them off axis would make any difference in their performance.

The only difference between the SC-28 and 29 is the AF illuminator on the SC-29.

When you use a falsh bracket, usually the poition of the flash is much higher and therefore the on-flash AF illuminator wouldn't be pointing at the subject. Instead, it would be pointing at something above the subject.

<p>There are two differences: SC29 has the AF illuminator, SC28 has connectors so you

plug an extension cord. So decide on what you want more: AF illuminator or the ability to

move the flash further from the camera.

<p>Why can't Nikon release an SC30 that has both features packed into one unit is

beyond me.

<p>--ben

Thanks for the replies, but now I'm wondering whether I need either the SC-28 or SC-29 cord.

I have an SC-17, which I've used for years with an SB-25 and F4, but I assumed that this older cord wasn't fully compatible with a D2H and SB-800. But it appears that it is compatible, going by Bill Harris's answer.

Does anyone know what the difference is, if any, between an SC-17 and an SC-28? If the difference has no bearing on flash-camera function and compatibility, I'd rather not spend $55 for a new cord.

Thanks,

Joe

I have both the SC-17 and SC-28. They have exactly the same number of electronic contacts. On the SC-28, the cord comes off the side instead of the front of the module you mount onto the hot shoe and it locks onto the hot shoe better. The SC-28 is black instead of gray.

This topic has been discussed before and I even posted an image to compare the two. But you need to do your own search.