ImagePrint or a custom profile

I am considering sending out some target prints to get a custom

profile for my Epson 2200, but I recently heard of the ImagePrint

software by Colorbyte. Could somebody offer a comparison between the

two or atleast a sense of whether or not one is stronger than the

other? Thank you.

I was aghast at ImagePrint's price, but now that I forked out, had a good cry, and moved on, I'd never want to be without it. It provides you top-quality profiles for every paper in circulation, and it's the only way short of dedicated B&W inksets to get tonable B&W without metamerism. The consensus seems to be that even with the best custom profiles, the Epson driver is going to be the limiting factor and therefore underperform ImagePrint.

I will agree with Beau. I am using it for color prints and it substantially reduces bronzing on glossy and luster papers.

It is much, much better than Epson print driver.

For 2200 it comes in "light" version (does not have color correction and template features enabled) and it is app. $495 US.

Do keep in mind that there is 30 day money back option as well.

Before installing it read detailed instructions first as install for 2200 uses slightly different settings.

Over the last few months I have spent a 'bomb' on calibrators, profiles, inks, paper time, etc. I suspect this a common tale of woe. Tomorrow, I am getting a demo of ImagePrint. I have been assured it will solve my problem. I wish to be convinced, but only the result I want will be acceptable. I am prepared to spend the money if, and only if, it works. I will report back soon as I am also told that it is 'simple.' Hold your breath.

I was in the same position. I tried the Image Print demo and my conclusion was as follows.

- For color work the results were comparable to the standard epson ICC profile for the standard Epson papers. If you are using a lot of different paper types you will benefit from the free profiles provided by Image print but most manufacturers provide there own for the 2100 anyway. The Image print workflow is simple and you get less junk prints where you messed up parameters in the driver.

- For Black and white there is a big improvement in that matamirism is mutch reduced and you get neutral prints.

HOWEVER $495 is a lot of money and I came across a share ware application called QTR. Do a search on the threads in this forum.

Basically this shareware app can be combined with a simple windows interface and it procudes B&W prints as good as Image Print. The formatting and print control isn't as good tough

For my needs I could n't justify the huge price tagg for Image print compared to QTR and Image print has a very significant costs for support and updates were as QTR is free for updates if you pay for it. Also Image print uses a nasty Dongle security USB key and is limited in terms of the printers and the number of machines it can be installed on.

If you are a proffessional using a epson printer and need to optimise your workflow, optimise layout and use lots of paper types then get Image print.

IF you are trying to get decent B&W prints save yourself a pile of cash and get QTR,

Rgs

Graham