Camera obscura

gene m

Nicely done, Gene. We get to see many interesting views of your neck of the woods through your shared photos here. By now I know it's a beautiful area. It's always a pleasure.

Could you provide some details of the camera? Especially how you made the actual pinhole. These are surprisingly sharp.

Thanks again!

Hey Dean

After making tons of pinholes and never really being happy with them I bought a laser cut pinhole for $18. The pinhole is by far the most important part of the camera. Crummy pinhole = "unsharp" photos.

I've got a number of old 120 cameras that I've converted to pinholes, I simply tape the pinhole over the hole left by the old lens. A tripod and a cable release and you're done.

That's a good point about the variable exposure in the frame. It kind of makes sense that the light is spread out more toward the edges of the frame when you have a flat film plane. Pinhole shots made with a curved film plane don't show the distortion of the flat plane shots, and I'll bet there is less vignetting as well. On the other hand, optics and physics are rather a challenge for me. Maybe someone more scientifically inclined will spell it out for us in detail.

Cool stuff, Gene. I recently made a pinhole body cap for my Spotmatic -- gives me 45 mm focal length at f/128, which means with Tri-X at EI 1600 (in Diafine) I can hand hold in sunny or hazy light. In fact, since my hold only needs to be better than the inherent level of blur from the pinhole, I found I can get good results almost every time down to 1/4 second, hand held. Sometime soon, though, I need to try it with color film.

BTW, I made my own pinhole -- seems fine, 0.013" average diameter (slightly out of round, but the next one will be better), which is a smidge bigger than optimal, but a full stop faster than the "optimum" hole for this distance. And since I did it all myself, it cost me zilch (well, if I don't count $5 for a roll of black masking tape that I bought for another project).<div>00B3TE-21754584.jpg.48265b7f17bcefcf78d8b813691edc63.jpg</div>