a._karalius

Hello guys. It's probably the question that was asked many times

before,but before I make my purchase I make to make sure it's going

to be the right one.So far as I know both of these lenses are very

good.But I've have red somewhere that 70-200f2.8 one is a tad sharper

than 70-200f4 one.Is it true? Because if it's not and 70-200f4 is

sharp right from f4 wide open and equaly as good as f2.8 lens, then

probably it's not worth spending extra money for a one stop faster

lens.Thanx for any advice and your time.

And I have heard that the f4 is a tad sharper. I suspect you won't see much difference. It is a lot easier making a lens sharp wide open at f4 than f2.8, hence the price difference. If you really want to be sure to have as sharp as possible then it's the 200/2.8 L but you lose the convenience of the zoom. Again many will argue that the prime is not that much different. It really depends if you need the extra stop to give you a faster shutter speed. Good luck.

Hi A. Karalius,

From a sharpness point of view the difference in my two samples was indestinguishable.

They are very different lenses though and I would be wary of choosing one over the other

just because of sharpness. The 2.8 at f4 is sharper than the f4 at f4, they are both very

similar wide open. Do you need the speed ? If not then a big hands up for the f4, if you are

shooting low light then the 2.8 IS is a scarily capable tool but if you are only looking at the

non IS then there is not so much of an advantage. If you intend to carry the thing

around much then don't underestimate the difference in size and weight, the f4 is a

delight to carry all day, the 2.8, well you really need a reason to carry it around, it gets

very heavy very quickly. If it won't go outside the sudio get the 2.8.

This pic is the IS version but it is not very different in size and weight to the regular 2.8.

Take care, Scott.<div>00AOF7-20840184.jpg.8a82b720232bfbd84f1c87a66eee5fca.jpg</div>

Thanks for advice you gave me.It will help to make that final decision.Of course as I expected there will always be different opinions, but most of you say that 70-200f4 is as sharp as 70-200f2.8 version.Even if f2.8 version is slightly sharper at f4 than f4 one at f4 the difference is indistinguishable.And that is important to me, because I wouldn't wamt to step down further to get sharp results on the lens wich is already a stop slower than 70-200f2.8. And the wheight difference is important too, because my girlfriend will use that lens as well :) Thanx once again, you've been very helpful. This was my first time that I use forum to get help and I think it's not the last one.