Pelican cases?

david_craig1

Well, they're not bullet-proof, but they do keep water out and protect the gear inside from shock very well. The 1500 I bought in 1986 has stood up very well, and is no more obnoxious to carry around than a large briefcase. Hard cases aren't good for working from, they're best for transport. But they can be worked from -- as mentioned, cumbersome but usable -- and protect their contents much better than most soft-sided bags, padded or not.

Lowepro sells a couple attache-in-pelican case things. You basically get a traditional padded bag with dividers that fits inside of a pelican case. These seem ideal to me because you can remove the bag and wander around and then stick it back in the case when you're done without much trouble.

In addition to foam, they have padded dividers and even an organizer lid. If you are trying

to pack a lot of gear, the dividers might be better - remember, you have to make it easy

for the TSA to paw through your stuff. If everything has to be put back "just so" then it

probably won't be...

I have a Pelican case with the LowePro OmniTraveler insert. I highly recommend getting a

case that fits a camera bag inside. You get the best of both worlds. The case I have may be

a bit small for your needs. I carry basically the same kit except with a Hasselblad SWC

instead of the 500 C/M. For that it already is a tight fit. I think there is a larger version

with the LowePro camera bag inside, though. Definitely look for that one. If you are

working out of a vehicle-- car, boat, airplane-- the cases are perfect. They sit stable and

are practically indestructable. Consider getting some kayaking dry bags as well. They are

rubber/nylon bags that have a roll down top and are waterproof/dust proof. I put all my

exposed film into one and then keep it in a cooler when I am working out of a vehicle.

I've been using Pelican 1550 Pro cases for equipment storage for years. They are big and clunky, but they are waterproof and are very durable.

As has been mentioned, I would advise getting the padded dividers rather than the pick-n-pluck foam. The padded dividers allow you to rearrange the cases as your equipment changes. Also, if the case is dropped, the padded dividers will provide superior internal protection against pieces of equipment banging against each other:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=40666&is=REG

I have two of their wheeled cases with the padded dividers. The smaller one is their latest airline-carry-on -compatible case that carries an M7, MP, 3 M lenses, a 500cm, 2 Hassie lenses and 2 a-12 backs plus a Polaroid back.

The older, bigger one will carry the Hassie and lenses plus 2 dslr bodies and 3 Nikon 2.8 zooms. These are wonderful cases.

Best regards,

Frank M.

Per Stephen comment, I'm envisioning the case in the back of a Range Rover or some other truck, with you taking equipment out of the case as need be. A sizeable Pelican case isn't something you'll want to be carrying while hiking around.

If I'm flying or hiking around with as much equipment as you list above, I use a Tenba P262: PBP Photo Back Pack, which I can fit out with accessories as need be. If I was going to buy the backpack over again, I'd buy the larger P263: PBL35, as I could fill the spare space with more film, travel documents, a shaver, glasses, hat, etc:

http://www.tenba.com/camera/backpack3.htm

http://www.tenba.com/accessories_bpk.htm

agree with above. i have a 1500 case and it will hold all that you named plus more. it will fit under *most* airline seats. definitely get the padded dividers and not the foam. my only complaint was that it had no shoulder strap available, nor easy configuration for attaching one, but i managed to figure out a way to attach one by using some bow shackles. you don't want to hike with this case, but when traveling, it is nice to have a strap for carrying/security.

While not for your full kit, I use several small Pelican cases for a small M kit if serious water looks likely. The 1040 will hold an M body w/o lens, snug. The 1050 can hold 2-4 M lenses, depending on lens choices. Unfortunately, they don't have a case that would hold an M body WITH a lens, say 35 or 50. This forum could approach them. Newswear.com is adding a wider pouch bag to their line for Leica shooters, following some lobby efforts.

<p>

Owen