teleconverter for nikon AF300 EDIF F/4

emanuele_nigrisoli1

Hi to everyone.

I'm looking for a valid review over a teleconverter to use with my

lense nikon AF300 EDIF F/4.

I'd like to use a 1,4x factor but nikon doesn't do this! Or better,

it's do this but with without AF function. i've red that Nikon build

the TC14 A/E but there are just for the S lense version !

I'm oriented to an other brand like Sigma or Tamron or Kenko!

Who have experience over that? Who can help me? I want to keep the AF

function and have an 1,4 mul factor with a good optoc quality.

Thank you in advance, and I wish you an Happy ner year!

Bye

Emanuele, Italy

Hi Emanuele, I use the Nikon TC-14B teleconverter with my Nikon 300mm F 4.0 Af lens. This is a manual focus teleconverter. When used witht he AF lens, the AF will not function. It produces great results with this lens. You can also use the AF version of this teleconverter, the Nikon TC-14E or the TC-14E II, the latest AF verson. Here is a link to a review of some of these teleconverters: http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html Joe Smith

The TC-14E, 17E and 20E will work with the newer AF-S version of the 300mm/f4. That version uses 77mm front filters.

If your 300mm/f4 AF is the older non-AF-S version that uses 82mm front filters, you will not be able to mount those "E" version TC's on it, unless you file off an extra tab on the TC. That topic has been discussed quite a few times in this forum.

Unfortunately there is no TC manufactured by Nikon that will autofocus with your 300mm. If you must have AF it would seem that the Kenko with the "screwdriver" is the way to go. However, if you don't mind using the Focus Confirmation arrows in your camera viewfinder (you don't say which body you are using) the TC14B will make an excellent manual 420mm f/5.6 equivalent. I use this combination regularly.

I regularly use this lens with the tc-14b and Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 1.4 and both yield extremely sharp images. I prefer the greater contrast of the tc-14b and it is my first choice unless I need AF, but both are quite good. I have used the Sigma tc's with Sigma HSM lenses and they are also very good, but I have never tried them with Nikkors.

I've used this lens with the original Nikon TC-14, which has the same optics as the TC-14B. It seems to work very well with that lens, albeit there are no electronic contacts or AF connections. This will limit the cameras you can use it on, as well as metering and exposure modes. FWIW, this converter also works very well with the Tamron SP 300mm f/2.8 lens.

Hi Emanuele, if you are using an old AF 300mm EDIF nikkor (using 82mm filter), I would recommend the Kenko SP300 1.4x converter. I have used this combination for over a year and am quite happy with the results. Focusing is rather slow (the lens itself on my D100 body is slow anyway), but in decent light condition, focusing can be done. In my own opion, focusing in manual mode is probably faster. Apart from the focusing speed, I would consider the quality of the image very acceptable. Only very minor deterioration in the image quality at the edges. center sharpness and contrast remain very good. I am attaching here a photo that I have taken three days ago with this combo, camera used was D100, ISO setting 400, shutter speed 1/500 sec and aperture at f4. I have resized the image for easier up load, the original image is much sharper than the one posted here (I have actually made an A4 size print out and all the details on the dragon fly wings are retained).

Cheers!<div>00AdhC-21181384.jpg.7be2ce52be0ee23f137309802554e489.jpg</div>