Which Hassy model will fit my Kiev 88 lenses

billy_owen

I have a Kieve 88 that is having some trouble but I have a nice

selection of lenes and filters for it. Since it is a copy of the

Hassy 500, I would like to buy a Hassy body but utilize my lenses I

already have. The question is which Hassy model is the one that the

russians copied for the Kiev 88? There seems to be many modles of

the 500. Will I get into any problems by going back to that

original Hassy model that they copied? Thanks.

It was the 1000F, but I'm not sure it was an absolute copy - or at least the tolerances may not have been as close. At one time I had an original 1600F and a Kiev 88 and as I recall it, the lenses would not interchange. A new, worked over, Kiev 88 body is probably your best bet. Give Michael a call at Kiev Camera in Atlanta.

There are two Hasselblad lens mounts and two Kiev 88 lens mounts:

<P>Hasselblad:

<LI>The really old 1600F and 1000F bodies had a screw mount which is at least partially compatible with Kiev 88 screw mount lenses.

<LI>The current Hasselblad lens mount (found on cameras from the 500C onward) are totally incompatible with any Kiev mount.

<P>Kiev:

<LI>The original Kiev 88 screw mount is at least partially compatible with the old Hasselblad 1600F and 1000F lens mount. I've read reports that some people use their lenses on either camera without trouble. However, I have also been told that some lenses do not fit at all because of a slight difference in the threading.

<LI>The current Kiev mount used on the 88CM and 60 is based on the Pentacon 6 mount and it is totally incompatible with the current Hasselblad mount.

<P>It is possible to put some of these lenses on to current Hasselblad cameras by removing the original lens mount and replacing it with a Hasselblad lens mount, but this is usually a custom job that requires much machining and precise fitting. This sort of work is never very cheap. It is also a one way trip since you usually need to physically cut off the old lens mount.

<P>Besides, as the previous poster mentioned, Kiev lenses do not have built in shutters so you would only be able to use them on the 2000 and 200 series Hasselblad bodies... not the 500 series.

Addendum...

I believe it would be possible to use such adapted lenses on a 500 series body by using the rear baffles to control the exposure... basically you'd only have Bulb mode, though.

And the aperture control would be totally manual which makes it inconvenient for many types of photography.

I have converted all the Carl Zeiss Jena lenses for Hasselblad use (201F and 203F). There are no problems whatsoever.

However, that may not be what you have in mind.

It may make more sense for you to get a cheap Mamiya or Pentax 645 body (I use a Pentax 645 N-II) and a cheap adapter (US$50 or less). That way, you can use these lenses, and at the same time a body that works with perhaps motorized film advance and a sophisticated meter.

I have tried (and am trying again right now) to make Kiev B-mount lenses fit pre-1957 Hasselblad cameras, and can say that it basically does not work.<br><br>It appears that the thread on Kiev mounts is slightly faster than the one on pre-1957 Hasselblad lenses.<br>I have been told though that grinding or filing away enough of the thread on Kiev lenses will allow them rotate enough, without binding, to bring the lens' rear flange flush gainst the camera's lens mount, producing infinity focus.<br><br>But even then, the lens catch pin may have to be removed from the lens.<br>And the lens will not sit "upright" (i.e. the usual top of the lens barrel will be rotated by a considerable angle. This may not be a problem with most lenses, but it is with a lens like the 30 mm Fisheye, which has a fixed "petal"-lens shade. Not sitting right the shade vignets.<br><br>One thing that certainly will have to be removed from the Kiev lens is the diaphragm plunger. So Kiev lenses will be manual aperture lenses. Luckily the plunger is used to open the diaphragm, not, as is more common, to close the thing to the working aperture, so it would be quiet usuable still.<br><br>For some reason unknown to me, pre-1957 Hasselblad lenses seem to fit Kiev 88 cameras without major difficulties. They too do not sit "upright" when mounted flush. And you do need to push the camera's lens release catch button during mounting to be able to rotate the lens beyond where the pin on the lens would engage the catch, or else it will not sit close enough to make infinity focus.<br><br><br>But back to the original question: Kiev lenses do not fit any of the post-1957 Hasselblads (the 500 C(...) in all its guises is one of), unless you remove the Kiev mount and replace it with a Hasselblad mount.<br><br>And yes, even when going back to the pre-1957 Hasselblad camera the Kiev is a copy of, you are in trouble.

• 4 years later...