New firmware for EOS 20D, version 1.1.0

niklas_nikitin

<a

href="http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.html">http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.html</a>

<p>

This firmware update (version 1.1.0) incorporates the following

additions and improvements:

<ul>

<li>Three new languages (Russian, Korean, and Traditional Chinese)

have been added to the camera menus.

<li>The phenomenon of horizontal line noise appearing in images taken

at high ISO settings while using the internal flash has been fixed.

</ul>

Did you actually read the original posting? There's a link...

Personally I never do firmware updates until at least a week after release, just in case there are some unexpected "surprises" lurking in there. Firmware update 1.0.4 was a dog. So far no reports of any problems with 1.1.0 as far as I know.

I haven't bought a 20D yet, I don't need Russian, Korean or Chinese, and probably won't ever use the internal flash. What I want to know is, has the lockup problem been fixed for sure or is it still happening even with these updates?

Lock-up was fixed in 1.0.5 if I'm not mistaking.

Can find update and info about how to do it at:

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.html

(see original question!)

Just did it with my 20d and only have it for a few days so it's not that difficult to do!

First format CF in 20d,

and make sure there's no lens on the body.

then on your pc:

- download file to PC

- start downloaded exe (=unpacking new firmware)

- copy this file to ROOT directory of formatted CF

Put CF in 20d

- turn on 20d

(NOT in any basic mode : wont be able to see firmware version)

- go to menu and firmware (last in menu)

- follow instructions on display using "Set" button and wheel

During update do not push any buttons until finished message appears

- at end turn of 20d

- remove battery for at least 2 sec. (needed for firmware to update)

Voila!

- check fimware version again after this to be sure

- also do not forget to format CF again

Takes about 3 minutes from start to end.

I find it funny that many people said the 20D didn't have banding issues, it was just a few cameras out there. Just like some say it doesn't have back focus issues...etc...etc.

Then Canon releases an update to fix the banding issue!

That's the one thing that drives me nut, you never know if some issues are QC/sporatic problems that really only effect a few units...or actual real issues that the company is dealing with.

Woulnd't it be nice if there was a more open communication platform with manufacturers? Where you would know what issues have been recognized (for one) and being worked on. I know I'm dreaming, but it would be so nice.

I for one couldn't get my 20D to replicate this banding issues...at all.

sean

A manufacturer would have to be nuts to admit to a defect that was present if it only affected a small number of units and it wasn't any kind of safety hazard. People would stop buying the product.

Car manufacturers find small, non safety related, problems all the time. They tell dealers about them, issue service bulletins and fix them under warranty - but only if you ask!

I'd guess if a camera manufacturer announced a small defect which was present in 0.1% of cameras, they'd get 10% of all cameras sent back for testing and repair!

So yes, it would be nice if camera makers told us of every single problem they've ever seen with a camera, but it's never going to happen.

I still have the 20D with the first, original firmware. I have had no problems with the lock ups or any other whatsoever. Recently I returned from Bolivia and Peru where I shot over 11 hundred photos without a single flaw! I need an advice if I should keep up with the newest firmware or not. From experience of the other 20D owners, sometimes the upgrade is risky and can cause problems. What should I do? Please advise! Thanks.

I just sent my 20D camera in for adjustment, as I have a pesky back focus problem that was not present on my 300D. Same lenses, but on the 20D the AF puts the focus always just in front of the face, instead of on the eyeball where I put it.

I didn't get a chance to try this firmware before I sent it. I wonder if they silently addressed this, as it seems to be a lot of people complaining about the same problem.

I'll post some before/after shots if I ever get it back from Canon.

Note that the banding noise fixed by firmware 1.1.0 is only when using the internal flash. If I use flash at all, it is an external unit and/or strobes, so I haven't seen this issue.

I'm actually surprised that many people even use the internal flash. I have never found photos using a built-in flash to be very attractive.