printer for 20d

richard_pearse

I currently use the 20d with 10d for back up. My market is schools,

playgroups, events where i print on site; sizes offered using dye sub

is 6 * 4, 7 * 5, 8 * 6, & 10 * 8. I want to offer B&W printing as

well. My question is: what type, sort of printer to use for the 20d

for B&W prints or would it be better to out source (lab)

well, I have heard excellent things about the Epson 2200...with it's separate *inks* for gloss optimizer and *true* matte black...I haven't tried it, but I have a read a few reviews that said it made outstanding B&W prints.

To date, I've never found an inkjet that did truly great B&W...color, out of this world, but B&W?

In any case, this is the printer I'm looking into to specifically print B&W portraits. Surf around for some reviews.

I'm curious to hear is any other son this site have any experience printing great B&W from any inkjets?!

sean

With the sizes you currently are printing I would pick either the Canon i960 or Epson R800. I currently use the i960 exclusivly with Canon Photo Pro paper- it is superb, BUT I have recently been contemplating switching to Epson for the archival inks and the R800 looks to be a winner of a printer. As good as inkjets have become I've completely written off ever buying another dye sub printer.

Black & white prints from a lab will get expensive, especially if you look to have prints made on real B&W paper to get the best quality.

Hi Richard, When doing conventions and events I use a Fuji Printpix 400D, no inks ribbons or dyes and just change rolls usually doing around 200~300 prints so no time for B & W, thier ordered and sent out later from my Epson 2100/2200 A3 with archival papers and matte black pigment they are next best to mixing chemistry with a life exp 50 years,the smaller R800 is gaining a great reputation as well.

BTW are you using the 20D in B&W mode as I heard you may get the same affects as your Dye subs as its not clean, heard its best in colour and convert later, My dye sub is not B&W friendly either

Lots of luck

I'm using an Epson R300 (didn't feel I needed a screen with my printer though archival inks would be nice) for printing bw & color. As others have stated before Colors are great but B&W can be difficult. Lately a lot is coming out with a green hue. Using printer controls I've been trying to combat that by offsetting yellow to -2 and brightness to +5. I'm sure there is a better way. As for taking a color shot from my 20d to B&W, I get better results in Photoshop, the Red channel is the best for portraits as lines and marks don't show up as much. The green and blue channels show more info than a young woman really wants to see in her face. My ltd experience is that the Greyscale conversion on photoshop or in camera samples all three. Again too much information for a portrait.

Good luck