What is PARALLEL FOCUS?

mark-j

Look at the picture in the Leica Pocket Book, Puts, or any of the catalogs! The sides of the barrel were more closely 'parallel' and straight than the previous versions which are more bulging in contour. Due to the lens's relative rarity, the appellation fooled many Leicaphiles, this one included, who sought the lens because of its supposed non-rotation, probably unaware of its superior optical quality.

Mark. The 90/4 3-element has a non-rotating mount. If the front of the lens turns when you twist the focussing ring it is NOT the 3-element lens. The 4-element 90/4 Elmars have rotating focussing mounts. If your lens mount rotates it is the 4-element version. That's just the way it is.

Joel and Mark are both wrong. No 3-element Elmar has a rotating mount. You clearly are not distinguishing the 3-element design (1960-65) from the four-element design (which is much older but production years overlapped). The four element lens is common, it was produced since 1931. the 3-element design is uncommon or rare. The barrel configuration of the two lens types is completely different. If you don't know the difference, any Leica reference (eg., Lager's volume II) will show it.

Eliot, mine has a serial number : 1913226

Scalopped mount and rotating front.

i also have the more common 4 鬥ments elmar.

Mine was examined by Leitz and it is definitely a three elements

The box also shows the lens diagram. Three elements.

The two lenses do not compare at all optically.