Leica slide projector

Sanford

Any opinions on the Leica P150 Compact Automatic slide projector?

I've always considered Kodak to be the only game in town when it came

to slide projectors but the Leica P150 is only $250.00! For you

youngsters, a slide projector was a piece of equipment used in the

last century for projecting film images on a screen.

I think it is $230 at adorama.com I have one and I like it. The included Hektor lens is okay. You can buy the higher quality Colorplan lens for $130. It depends how serious you want to get. The projector works fine and I like the slide trays much better than the carousel trays I used years ago.

You do know it won't take Kodak Carousel trays, right? So if you've got lots of slides in them you'd need to buy new trays and load them in. With slide projectors being given or thrown away these days, I'd sure look for a used one of the P2002 or C2500A (I may have the numbers wrong, but I'm referring to the last of the built-like-a-tank Leica in-house projectors). These also take the straight eurotrays only but they're probably the pinnacle of projectors.

My experience with the p150 was pretty bad. I bought it new for $300 and after only a couple of years light duty use, ended up giving it away. The slide feed mechanism was not working. I would stay away from the p150 and go with a koday carousel.

I own the P150 and find it to be more than acceptable for my needs. It comes with the 85mm Hecktor(no zoom) I don't doubt that the Hecktor is hardly up to the level of the Colorpan lenses but its not as if your viewing your slides through a Coke bottle either. I do plan on upgrading lenses eventually nevertheless. I,ve only owned the projector for a few months so I can't comment on its long-term reliability.

Sanford -

If you're serious about shooting chromes and projecting same, then look for a 2000 or 2002 projector and get the Super Colorplan lens. Why waste the time and effort amd use a superb camera/lens combination to get your chromes, only to view your results via a second-rate projection capability? Ben Z is right.