What's your current Leica SLR equipment -- for Grant

Visoflex IIS with both prism and chimney finders, 65/3.5 Elmar with focussing mount (which also accepts the 90mm Elmarit lens head), assorted extension tubes - 39/39 thread, tubes that fit between the lens heads and the universal focussing mount, M bayonet/M bayonet, an adapter for Visoflex II lenses to Leicaflex, and a 400/6.3 Tele Astronar.

<I>"I finally sold both 135 Elmart R's -- too heavy & really

superfluous for me having a 90 & a 180."</I>

<P>

I agree. My kit includes Leicaflex, SL, SL2, R4sP, R-E and R8

bodies (plus an R6 on loan). Lenses from 35mm to 560mm

plus a 1.4x APO extender modified to fit Leicaflexes.

Hmmm...I'll bet not all of the 283 people in the world who use Leica R are members of photo.net. What kind of response sample do you hope to get? :) <br><br> While the Leicaflex SL is a beautiful camera with a viewfinder to die for, the smallish R bodies are overpriced and under-engineered with squinty viewfinders, and the R8 and R9 are too bulky---and ridiculously priced in today's market. For me, SLR gear consists of Canon EOS (100mm Macro, 300mm, 70-200mm zoom with compatibilty for future digital purchase), Contax SLR (25mm to 200mm primes), Pentax screw mount (manual shutters and SMC Takumar glass for quality, inexpensive fun).

In addition to the numerous R lenses I've been using for years, I just bought a new 90mm APO/ASPH R Summicron and it is amazing! Exposures on Delta 100, Acros 100, Superia Reala 100, and Provia 100 are breathtaking! Beautiful edge sharpness/tonal differentiation, a match made in heaven! It appears to match the quality of its cousin on the M side.

Leica- R8, 35-70mm f/4, 100mm f/2.8, 180mm f/4

<br>

Canon- Digital Rebel, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 15mm FE, Sigma 20mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8

<br>

Contax- RTS II (can't bear to sell my favourite), Lensbaby for Contax

<br>

Hasselblad- 201F, 50mm f/4 FLE, 80mm f/2.8 F, 150mm f/2.8 F

<p>

I generally use the R8 to complement the telephoto for my M6ttl, and I use the Canon digital for when I need the fast turnover of digital.

2 SL's (One Chrome - Mint, one Black - Mint but for a yellowish finder, not a big deal), 50/2.0 (2 Cam, clean), 90 2.8 (1 Cam, wicked ugly, clean glass). VI and VII Elpros. I purchased it piecemeal over the last several years for under $1,000 in total, including a full CLA/Upgrade on the silver one.

Shopping for a cheap 2-cam 28 to complete the outfit.

"I'll bet not all of the 283 people in the world who use Leica R are members of photo.net."

284 counting me.

"the R8 and R9 are too bulky"

Compared to what? Aren't the top SLRs from Nikon and Canon about the same size?

"and ridiculously priced in today's market."

Only if you buy them new. I've got R8, 28-70, 70-210, 50/2 and 90/2 which cost me $2000. 35/2 and 21/4 cost me about $700 or 750 together. 15mm/3.5 was $1600, not far off from Canon's 14mm and a new Leica 2.8 model is $4800!. Backup body is a Rebel Ti with adaptor. That said, I am not thrilled with the size and expected price of the DMR, and not sure I'm wanting to go the adapted-Canon DSLR route. It's at least a good chance I'll end up selling the R stuff.

To Ben Z...it's a joke son. :) I would never disparage anyone's choice of photo gear.<br><br>But since you bring it up. I own a Canon EOS3 and RT (with pellicle mirror---no mirror slap!) BOTH bodies can be had today pre-owned for less than $600 ($325-350 for EOS3, $200 for RT). I don't think you can touch an R8 for that. For me, both Canon bodies are ergonomically superior to the R8/R9, both bodies have integrated motor drives, saving considerable bulk and weight---important to me. As for Contax, there's the compact 137MA with integrated motor drive (about the size of an R5 for under $200), the Yashica FR-1 (AE exposure, metal bodied camera for under $100), the Contax RX (with 1/4000 sec shutter speed and digital focus assist for $400), Contax RTS-III, (world class pro body with Real Time Vacuum system to flatten film can be had for $700-750), and the Contax S2 all manual body (at least the equal of the R6.2 for hundreds less). There are more examples, but I'll stop now.<br><br>Actually I think the continuance of the R line by Leica is a very good sign. That Leica would continue to carry a loss leader for so long (and develop a digital back for it) at least suggests some commitment to reflex equipment. So long live Leica R!

Sheeeeesh Peter! This is the Leica Forum! You're supposed to shoot it with an M Leica, or maybe an old LTM body, get the glowing look that only an uncoated Summar gives you, shoot on pushed or pulled Tri-X, soup in Rodinal, and arrange your R stuff amongst some half crushed beer cans and, ideally, the skeletal remains of a dead rodent ;>)

Otherwise, a great shot!

LEICAFLEX SL=5

LEICA R7=2

28 2.8=1

35 2.8=1

50 1.4=1

50 2.8=3

60 2.8 MACRO=2

90 2.8=2

135 2.8=2

180 3.4 APO=1

250 F4=1

350 4,8=1

400 2.8 APO=1

35-70=1

70-210=1

2 WINDERS

LEICA HANDGRIP STOCK =1

1 1.4X APO=1

2XAPO=1

THE BEST PART ABOUT IT IS THAT MY WIFE THINKS I MIGHT HAVE SPENT 500$ ON CAMERA EQUIPMENT, SOMEDAY I,LL TELL HER ....PAUL