Which Billingham Bag?

will_staples2

I've got an Alice which was the old name of the L2. It is more than enough room for an M6 and 2 lenses. I last used mine at the LHSA event in Williamsburg, I had in it 2 M bodies with bottom halves of ERC cases on them, 35 and 50 Summicrons, 90 Tele-Elmarit (the fatter one), 15mm Voitlander plus finder, and a small Vivitar flash. What I like about the Alice/A2 is it has a leather reinforced bottom and sides, like the Photo Eventer I use for my R8 outfit. I got the Alice for less than $100 and the Eventer for not much over that, both in 10 condition from B&H (I guess they were floor samples). Otherwise pretty as they are I'd never pay what they normally go for.

I've learned from experience not to get a bag that doesn't have a top handle. With

Billingham, that means the Hadley Pro, which is a very nice bag but may be larger than

what you are looking for. On the other hand, bag contents have an unfortunate way of

expanding to fit space available :-).

The small is adequate for your setup. Frankly, even a fanny pack would be sufficient if you carried your film in your pockets. However, if you want some room to grow, you can consider a Hadley or Hadley Pro, which are just marginally bigger on the outside, but give you the ability to carry two bodies + 3 lenses or one body + 5 lenses or accessories like filters, flash, film, etc.

I was interested in a Billingham after recommendation from another photographer friend

and looked at the Leica M System Combination vs the L2 "Alice". They're fairly similar in

size, but the L2 has more room, better rain gusseting, and does not have the separate

zipper on the front pocket. I found its wider top opening and larger front pocket, along

with a nice thin back pocket, much more to my liking. It will easily fit a Leica M camera and

two/three lenses as well as a goodly assortment of other small gear and film.

The Small Hadley is a completely different shape and a larger bag, probably larger than

you need. It's quite similar to the Domke F803 Camera Satchel which has been a favorite

amongst Leica M users for a long while. The Hadley Small or F803 will easily handle two M

bodies with attached lens and two additional lenses as well as a ton of accessories.

For those who must have a top handle on the L2, it's easy to make one. Just take a strip of

3/8" cloth webbing, like the shoulder strap only narrower, and thread it through the slip-

on accessory pouch slots in the leather patches on the sides, diagonally. Cut it to a

convenient length for a nice handle that doesn't get in the way of the shoulder strap or top

cover, then secure the ends by either fitting them with a snap (to fold up over the leather

and snap onto itself) or a sliding buckle. Easy, very convenient, and easily removable too.

Godfrey