20D lockup

bobatkins

On the 10D bodies, I can really bog down the electronics by shooting a burst of RAW frames. That is to be expected.

I use both a Canon 75-300 IS and Tamron 200-500. The greatest electronic difference that I see is that the Canon IS is extremely rough on batteries.

On the 20D try shooting bursts of RAW in auto-focus with the the Canon IS function turned on. That should help to test the possibility of sagging battery voltage.

My 20D has appeared to lock up on me a couple of times. Each time it was my own stupidity. I forgot that I was doing astrophotography with it the night before and left the mirror lock-up function enabled. I click the shutter and locks (waiting for me to hit the shutter button the second time)

I was at the Canon customer service - repair center in Irvine, California when a guy brought in a couple of 20D's - complaining of underexposure consistently. (I was there for a Camcorder, not my 20D.) The Canon rep said that they would definitely update the firmware first. I suspect there are a bunch of nondocumented fixes in the update from 1.0.5 to 1.1.0.

Maybe. maybe not. There's probably a directive from Canon saying that any 20D brought in has to have the latest firmware upgrade installed before it goes back out. I have never seen any suggestion anywhere that the 1.1.0 firmware changed any aspect of metering or exposure.

My guess is it's like Microsoft asking if you've installed all their updates and security patches before they'll talk to you about any problems (assuming they'll ever talk to you at all...).

Hi Bob!

I have the firmware 1.1.0 installed, but early in the 20D's life, I also had exactly the same lockup with exactly the same lens. (Lost a few good pix because of it) After "rebooting" everything also went back to normal. Eversince it has behaved itself, almost 5000 pix later.

I must admit - I am a little itchy to trust the 20D with that lens again...

I've had this lock up problem happen a couple of times since I bought the 20D. All were with Canon lenses and 1.10 firmware.

Based on the responses here and my personal experience, it appears that Canon has not resolved the lockup issue - at best only mitigated. I'm disappointed with Canon on this issue. While it only happens occasionally, it is nevertheless very annoying. Interestingly, the much cheaper Digital Rebel was problem free. Never had a lock up with it