painting backdrops

kari douma

Hi all,

I have tiedied backdrops with good sucess, but now a friend and I

would like to try painting some. She does beautiful walls, and we

thought we'd try it on fabric. What we are wondering is what kind

of paint do we use? I know I've read about it on photo.net before,

but when I searched it, I couldn't find much. Has anyone done this?

Does the paint crack on the fabric?

Thanks,

Kari

Kari--you can a) use regular acrylic paint (which will probably crack, over time); b) use fabric paint (which will be pricey) or c) use acrylic paint--and mix in a special paint softener, for fabric painting. I've never painted a muslin--but I've painted clothing--and the principal should be the same. Craft stores will offer the paint softener (there's a name for it--but I can't think of what it is, just now!). It's a thin, milky liquid that mixes right in with your paints. You would probably also mix in a paint extender, as well. You would need to toss the muslin in a dryer, after completion--to "set" the paint--but after that--it's washable, flexible, and soft! :-)

for a cheap cheap cheap solution, try a flat latex interior paint. Depending on how you want it to go, you get a dark, medium or light base color, then pick a contrasting color for the tonal inverse, in a smaller quantity. Best way to illustrate is to start with a dark background color, say dark gray, and then add in a light gray for the highlight tone, and a mid-tone in any color you want to tone the background toward. Apply said paint with a roller, preferably with the muslin spread out on an uneven surface (when I did it, I laid it out on a gravel driveway, but I was doing this in the summer). You can apply the highlight and the midtone accent using a regular brush, or even a paint stirrer, holding the brush/stirrer some distance off the muslin. you can go back over the dripped paint with brushes of different sizes to work it in to the fabric in whatever kind of pattern you want, and it lets you pretend to be Jackson Pollock for a few hours to boot! Let it dry overnight. The colors you choose will of course vary if you are using it for color or for b/w photos.

To add complication to the matter- has anyone done this with a SEAMED backdrop? How do you handle the seam when painting, does it mask the seam? I hope I'm not intruding or hijacking the thread by asking.

As far as the flexibility issue, I think I'd mix in some sort of slow-curing RTV Silicone, like tub caulking, with a water-based acrylic latex. The wood glue gets NAIL hard, but I've no clue what it does mixed with paint.

I do have one suggestion: keep a sprayer, hose, or mister nearby- wetting the backdrop as you go. You'll have more bleed and softer transitions with a wet material than a dry one getting hit with thick paint.

I just bought some canvas and about to try the same thing. I bought it after the close of auction from this fellow http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79004&item=3851740580&rd=1#ShippingPayment and he was really nice and shipped right away. If you are near SE KY you can come and we will figure it out together, lol. Shipping is pretty high, but I went in with another friend and we bought two rolls and that helped. Don't think they are trying to make anything on shipping either beccasue this thing was huge and weighed a ton, looked like a roll of carpet! Good luck and wish me the same! Kenny

I painted onto muslin from <a href="http://www.norcostco.com/"> Norcostco</a>, which is a lot cheaper and lighter than canvas. I have also bought canvas remnants (as long as 10 feet) from upholstry fabric stores in 60" width for very good prices compared to places like <a href="http://www.chicagocanvas.com/"> Chicago Canvas</a>.<p>Norcostco has the Roscoe over saturated paint, they both seem to have muslin and canvas... t