I am having some problem with my Nikon D 70 and when using it in

photoshop. From my understanding when I shoot in "raw mode" and open

it up on photoshop it should be in 16bit mode. it's not, it's in 8bit

mode. not only that, but I'm having trouble seeing a real difference

in raw vs the jpeg fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Are you sure the camera is in Raw mode? 8-bit is typically only for JPG. Do the file names end in a .NEF extension? Does the camera's top window show "RAW" or "Fine" in the lower left? The only other thing I can think of is if you are using some kind of a raw converter which sends an 8-bit image directly to the editor...

There's no such thing as an 8-bit raw file, so something else has to be wrong here...

Depending on your settings, the difference between JPG and RAW should be significant as the RAW image does not have sharpening, curves, saturation, etc. set. In some respects, it should look more dull...

The Nikon plug in that gets installed when you install Nikon's Picture Project only converts raw files to 8 bit. Erase it from photoshop's plug in folders and install Adobe's free plug-in ACR (Adobe Conversion Raw) from their site. Its much more robust and you can convert the raw files to 16 bit tiffs with lots of ajustment options. I went through the same confusion a couple weeks ago and got help here in this forum. If you don't eliminate the Nikon plugin, ACR won't work. I think you have to be using CS, however. Nikon has conversion software for $99, and I just heard of one called Bibble, that's supposed to be good.

• 3 weeks later...