The rebates Canon is offering are quite attractive, especially for

the digital rebel and if tripled with the addition of two lenses. I

know the general point of view is that one should think that the

price is what one is paying, and then take the rebate, if it comes,

as a nice surprise. However, in this case the rebate on the DRebel

($300) is a very substantial part of the price. If I can count on

the rebate, I'll buy the DRebel and a lens (and another lense\ for

the triple rebate which then I'll sell); otherwise, I'll consider a

used 10D and no new lenses at this time.

In general, how trustworthy is the Canon rebate program, assuming

that I do my part on time and as indicated, and keep copies of all

documentation?

Thanks in advance!

Every rebate I've ever filed was paid by Canon. I was careful to be sure and cut the EXACT UPC code off the box that they were looking for. Don't look for the check two weeks after mailing it in. I do remember it being a long wait. When it did arrive I had almost forgotten I had mailed one in.

I would think with this great deal Canon is processing ALOT of rebates, so sit back and be patient.

<i>"I was careful to be sure and cut the EXACT UPC code off the box that they were looking for."</i><p>Note that for the current rebate, they want a "<b>Copy</b><i> of UPC code and body or lens number from products</i>", and the rebate form pictures a cutout of the entire multiple barcodes area.<div>00ANPO-20820284.jpg.0a323869b697aec197b034d0ef780dee.jpg</div>

I got my rebate last year--but ONLY because I had retained copies of everything. It got rejected for a failure to completely fill out the rebate form ("missing phone number" or some such)--and the rebate clearing house that Canon used was absolutely wrong--the form was completely filled out. I had the copy of the form showing all fields completed.

It did get straight, but I highly recommend keeping very good records.

Paul

Thank you all for the replies. I'm quite sure that the rebate people will look with a big loupe (or a very long telephoto lens, since it's a Canon thing) for formal errors in the rebate forms (even to the point of seeing one when there isn't) but it looks that as long as one is very careful and keeps good records it should be ok...

I purchased a Canon Camera and a Canon printer, at authorized dealer. It was avertised everywhere the combo for $100 rebate. Mailed all correctly filled forms and sent on time. About half year later I received letter from Canon that the particular serial number of the printer does not qualify for the rebate. Canon owns me $100. Do not count on Canon rebates. They could pull similar trick on you. Canon rebates are unreliable.

I think that for some reason, a certain percentage of rebates will automatically be denied for some stupid common reason. I think that they hope the people who was denied would not have kept good records of everything and thus cannot fight back. So if you do keep good records and also mark on the calendar when it is due, you will have no problems.