and possibly as many as 30 plus.<BR>

<BR>

I will be in a space approx. 30x30 with very high ceilings, 20x10

backdrop with a 6x16 riser and another 4x16 riser stacked on top,

giving me 3 levels (floor, 1st riser, 2nd riser) for the larger

groups.<BR>

<BR>

I have Elinchrom monos: 1-1,000, 2-600s, 2-250's with umbrellas,

softboxes, etc. Will be using a D100 with 28-70 and 12-24 (if need be)

for the larger groups.<BR>

<BR>

Since I will have approx. 1-1/2 hours to shoot about 130 groups

(mostly 1's and 2's) as they exit the room then go back for possibly a

2nd award, I have to keep things moving. What would the best setup be

for the small groups that would also work for 30 people on risers?<BR>

<BR>

I have done the basic butterfly 2 light setup at Christmas parties for

groups up to 8 but I'm unsure how to light for 1 and 30 at the same

time. Thanks, in advance, for your words of wisdom!<BR>

light it for thirty, and it will look fine for one. It's not haute coiture you're working with... it's a grip and grin awards ceremony for hundreds of shots. <p>Put a piece of gaffer tape on the floor where you want your small group (or individual) to stand, and another at the extremes of your lighting parameters (left and right). Point to it for your subjects to stand on (I say "toes on the tape" and everyone gets it). With the big groups you'll know how tight you have to bunch them.<p>Use a tripod and get two (quick!) shots of each small group and individual, as fast as your flash will recycle. Hold up two fingers before you take the first shot and say "two shots!". After the first one shout "one more!". Say thank you and walk away. Do not give them time to think about posing, you'll get better expressions and be done sooner. Do not let them view it on the monitor. Get three of the biggest groups if you can. The tripod will let you paste heads from one to the other (if you get a blink and really like the client)... t<div>00Aw9r-21590384.jpg.f79d0bca4f619abb848edc03e1a9279b.jpg</div>

Thanks, Tom. I wasn't planning on the tripod but that's a good thought. Your other tips I have already incorporated into my Event routine and they work quite well. <BR>

<BR>

Since the ceilings are way too high to bounce anything off of, I was thinking of using 2-3x5 foot sheets of white foamcore to form a 3x10 foot reflector held as high as possible overhead and at a 45 degree angle to the risers. Then point 2 of my 600's straight up at the reflector to produce a giant bounce. Two 600's might be a little overkill, but they are stepless from 600-18ws so should be easy to adjust.<BR>

<BR>

I won't have time to rehearse this ahead of time and will barely have time to set it up since it's a breakfast meeting. Do you see any potential problems with my idea to produce even lighting with no harsh shadows for large and small groups?<BR>

I'm just not sure about flying 2 rigid flats over your lights in any efficient and practical manner. Wouldn't a couple of 72" softboxes work? Can you rent? I'll post a group of 27 made with one Westcott Halo (the 45" smaller one) and a 400ws Lumedyne... t<div>00AwQo-21597784.jpg.d5024575b69404350fe70990a11cf2ac.jpg</div>

I was hoping to learn about some really creative lighting set-ups from your post and answers, but since you didn't get many responses, I'd suggest 3 monolights spread out along the width of the group, each with a large umbrella, placed high and angled down slightly. The umbrellas should be straight on toward the group, not toed in or out. The two 600 watt lights should be on each side, and the 1000 watt light should be in the center and behind you, further back than the others, so you don't have the light stand in your field of view. Since it has more power than the others, you should be able to place it further back and still match the power of the others. Since the umbrellas aren't toed in or out, there should not be cross shadows, and the photos with a single person or very small groups should be the typical butterfly lighting from the center umbrella. I've used this set up with a group of about 60-70 people.