Scotland in June - Best Bets for Wildlife Viewing/Photography

valerie

Tried scanning the 17,000 or so earlier postings on various

locations, but eventually went blind without finding much on

Scotland. (Why in the world do searches take you to that page, but

not to the specific postings? Or am I just dense? *grin*)

Anyway - I plan on a trip to Scotland in June. I'm from America, so

my interest is in seeing birds and animals that are either unique to

Scotland, or which offer especially good photo opportunities there -

such as areas where cliff-nesting birds can be viewed and

photographed at a relatively close distance without being disturbed;

seal beaches; areas with beautiful tidal pools, etc.

I won't have a lot of time, but would like to spend 3 to 4 of my

days enjoying nature in Scotland, and photographing.

I'd love any help you can give me - thank you!

You may want to familiarize yourself with possibilites in the Orkney Islands. I visited there once during late Sept (a bit wet and windy), but I believe June would be a good time for nesting sea birds. Along with the Isle Of Skye, Orkney was my favorite spot in Scotland. Just happened to find this photo collection while I was searching for Orkney specifics. Best, -Greg-

http://www.buyimage.co.uk/photonet/orkney/orkney.html

Hi Valerie,

<p>

You'll find quite some information on <a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl/home.htm">my site</a> on Scotland.

<p>

There are several places, especially isles, for bird life, like Bass Rock on the east coast near Edinburgh, Handa island in the north-west. I myself enjoyed a trip to the Treshnish Isles a lot, even in July, when most birds are back on sea.

<p>

You might want to have a look at these sites: <a href="http://www.turusmara.com">Turus Mara</a> and <a href="http://www.hebrideantrust.org">Hebredian Trust</a>.

<p>

<a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl">Wim</a>

The Isle of Mull is a must and you can include Iona and Staffa as part of your itinerary (do not forget Fingals Cave as a bonus).There are many good web sites covering the Islands so go to Google.

Seals,otters,Golden Eagle and if really lucky Sea Eagle are the big attractions but there are many more things to see .......I will be going back one day soon !!!

I live there (Scotland). I would second Mull, also Rum (National Nature Reserve), and the north highland west coast too. In June there should still be puffin and fulmar nesting, also loads of other seabirds. There are wild goats and red deer on Rum, and in many locations on the mainland. In Strathspey and Cairngorms there are osprey, red deer, ptarmigan, mountain hare, etc. With only three or four days I would look at the west coast, and perhaps stick to Mull - seals, otters, sea eagles, golden eagles, whales and dolphins, puffins on the Treshnish Isles (go with Ian at Turus Mara - find them on the web). Scotland may appear small but dont underestimate the time and distances to get to places. If you want any more specifics ask!

JOHN

www.john-macpherson-photography.com

I would second John's comment about travel time. No two places on the mainland are joined by a straight line, and if you are visiting the islands you have to factor in the ferry timetables. This makes travel both interesting and enjoyable, but if your time is short you have to plan very carefully. I would also agree with those who recommended Mull.

If you favour Gannets (i.e., 80,000 crammed together on one small island), then head for the Bass Rock. It can be reached from the quaint town of North Berwick, about a half hour drive east of Edinburgh. If you don`t mind heading down the coast into north-east England for an hour or two, then the Farne Islands are a must visit place. They can be reached from the small town of Seahouses off the coast of Northumberland. Seabirds in abundance here: Guillemots (Murres), Razorbills, Eiders, Common, Arctic and Sandwich Terns, Kittiwakes, Shags, Cormorants, and, of course, Puffins, are all tame and easily photographable. There is also a large colony of breeding Grey Seals which can be seen and photographed from close range from the boat.

The Bass Rock can be difficult to get to, so best to check with the Scottish Seabird Centre about landing times before you go. Many trips run to the Farne Islands every day.

If you need more information, you could try posting this query on the UK/European forum at NaturePhotographers.net.