Elan vs. A2 vs. EOS 1 vs. EOS 3

buck_rogers1

I work as a ski/portrait photographer at a ski resort. I currently

take posed portraits of guests with my Elan (original) and 70-200 f/4.

I would like to branch out into taking some action photographs as well.

<p>

I am interested to know if anyone has experience comparing the

predictive autofocus speed on any of these camera bodies. I will

continue to use the same f/4 lens--possible with a 1.4 TC. On Tv I

will usually end up with exposures of about 1/500 f/11 with 200 film.

<p>If I find the Elan terribly inadequate (which so far seems to be

the case) I will try to pick up one of the other bodies.

<p>

Pros of A2:

<p>-Relatively inexpensive, lighter, "D"cell battery pack possible

(good for hours below 0 degrees), low price vertical grip and fast fps

w/o booster.<p>

Pros of Eos 1 (not 1n 1nRS or 1v):

<p>-Bullet proof, 100% viewfinder, cheaper 'used' than 3 (as far as I

can tell) top of the line (in its time), no-nonsense single AF point

and option for rechargeable batteries in BP-1 or PB.

<p>Pros of Eos 3:<p>

-Highest fps with booster, advanced metering, multiple AF points, also

can use rechargeable batteries and as reliable as 1 (not sure about this).

<p>What is your advice/experience?

I've had good results shooting snowboarding with my Elan 7, but that was for halfpipe where you know exactly where your subject is going to be. I don't know how well it would track a ski racer coming at me at 50mph.

All the top snowboard photographers are shooting EOS 1v cameras, typically with Provia 100F. You could pick up a used 1v with booster for around $1k. The EOS 3 would be my second choice, although the weather sealing is not quite as good as the 1v. This may be less of a consideration for you, since the 70-200mm f/4 L lens is not weather sealed and would probably have the same weather resistance on either the EOS 3 or EOS 1v.

Hope this helps!

Sheldon

Canon 1V has the best AF tracking capability. EOS3 stops tracking when the mirror goes up, 1V keeps tracking until the shutter is activated (yes, tracking continues even when the you can't see the image in the viefinder).

I guess for most practical applications this is a moot point though, as the black-out time is very short and the mirror is very fast on both cameras (Eos3 and EOS 1V).

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but isn't it time to go digital? If you're doing

this for a living, you should have the tools that make your job easier. So the answer is

EOS-1D MK II or 20D. If you want to stick with film, then the 1V HS would be your best

option. And if you have to choose within your stated alternatives, go with the 3, as it's

better than the original 1 (and even 1N). Good luck!

NO to digital...for now. We have color darkroom and C-41 processing facilities at the base of the mountain and will finish out this year with film. Next year the Fuji Frontier comes and we will switch over. I guess an aside to this question is "which will give me the best resale value at the end of the season when I do go digital?"

In bright light, at f/8 or so with a 200/2.8 L even my Rebel 2000 produces perfect tracking results for skiers and snowboarders, provided I keep the central focusing point on the subject - espcially if the subject moves in a smooth motion.

I would suggest to try your Elan, and if that fails, the A2. You may find that sometimes it's good to have off-center focusing points; it's also newer and presumably more advanced than the old Eos 1 that has a more or less first-generation tracking AF system. Of course, the 3 will be the best of them all.

The EOS 3 will outperform the A2E (I have both, though in the latter case the European EOS 5 version). However, the PBE2 booster is a pain, weight-wise, and the body-only EOS 3 balances extremely well with a 70-200 f/4 L. I also think its exposure algorithms work much better where there's a lot of reflected light - the EOS 5/A2E seems to overexpose in such situations.

Les -

I'm not sure what filters the top snowboard photogs are using (if any) to color correct Provia 100F. Transworld Snowboarding is kind enough to do a little photographer bio with shot, film, and gear details for each of their cover shots. Everything for the past couple years has been on Provia 100F, with about 10 or so photographers doing most of the published work in the magazines. If I had to guess I'd say they weren't using filters, since they it's not mentioned and because a good number of the shots are done with the Canon 15mm f/2.8 fisheye (which doesn't take front mounted filters). Most daylight shots in the magazine do have a blue cast to any shady snow, but it looks fairly normal to me.

Now if only I hadn't torn my ACL this season!

Sheldon

Hi Buck,<br>

Last winter I started shooting my friends and myself skiing/snowboarding. I have an EOS5, which is the same as an A2E. <br><br>Here's what I like about this body :<br>

- It's darn cheap. You can get an used one in excellent condition for about 200$ on used equipement sites like keh.com. <br>

- High fps (3 or 5) without booster. For the use I do, shooting jumps/rails, I think 5 fps is perfect for jump sequences and 3 fps is good for slow jibs (rails, picnic tables, etc).<br>

- It's light and very portable with a camera chestbag while skiing, even in the backcountry. And it's not too expensive to replace in case of an accident. Don't know about the 70-200 though. :) <br>

- Spot metering for accurate snow/subject exposure (though the 1 and 3 have this, but for this price...)<br><br>

One little thing though, you will probably have better AF prediction with a 1 or a 3. The A2E takes you back to 1992, so I think the 3 will win most probably hands down on the AF. And, the A2E vertical grip has no battery in it (!?).<br><br>

But at that price, with all these features, the A2E can be found to be very sufficient. I get along mine very nicely.<br><div>00AMj6-20806784.jpg.2eb18ee27597920704ab8d1c823ed218.jpg</div>

I have to second all the recommendations for the EOS 3. I had both the original Elan and Elan IIE, and the predictive auto-focusing was way too slow for action. I tried for years to get sharp photos of the Shamu the killer whale and dolphin shows at seaworld and never succeeded until I got the EOS 3 (using the 70-200 f2.8L on all these bodies). The predictive autofocussing of the EOS 3 just blows away the older Elans.

I can't compare the EOS 3 to the Elan 7 or any version of the EOS 1 (though I bet the 1V would be as good if not better), but I am sure you won't go wrong with the EOS 3.

Cheers

Frank

I have owned the EOS5, which has fast drive and quiet shutter, I know the EOS 3 has faster focus, and a bigger 'focus patch' in the viewfinder. I now use an EOS1n HS, I never use 6fps, the focussing software is 'older' than the EOS5/A2, and it is heavy. It may focus better in low light thatn the EOS5, but it probably only scores over the EOS3 on durability.

If you want the fastest focussing body that is reasonably priced, I'd recommend the EOS3 with a booster pack to give an extra grip.

I'd love to be able to afford an EOS 1v HS, but I could sooner afford a 20D, so I'll keep my 1n HS for wide angle use on film with my new 17-40 f4L lens.