Fair Market Prices for MINT 100/3.5 CFi, 50/4 CFi FLE and 120/4 CFE?

flying_tiger

Hi there, I'm going to get a 503CW Kit from a Hong Kong vendor

called www.hksupplies.com. Any recent experience with him (I think

his name is Poon)? My main interests are portraiture, landscape and

scenic.

Which lens is a better choice for portraiture (both close-range

head/shoulder AND environmental portrait/group portrait)? 100/3.5 or

120/4 CFE or 180/4 CFE?

I really want to get the 100/3.5 CFi as my first lens but buying

separate 503CW body, A12 back and 100/3.5 will cost $1300 more than

the kit with 80/2.8CFE. Peter did the math. for me in the other

posting. Thanks.

So I figure maybe I could use the extra $1300 (not buying the kit)

to get a MINT condition 100/3.5 CFi or 50/4 CFi FLE or 120/4 CFE or

60/3.5 CFi later. What are the fair prices for these lenses in MINT

condition?

100/3.5 CFi

50/4 CFi FLE

120/4 CFE

60/3.5 CFi

180/4 CFE

I tried Ebay but didn't find a lot of info. Neither did I see many

listings on KEH.com.

Please advise. Thanks.

Richard

What do you mean by "mint condition?" The KEH ratings are the most descriptive and consistent. I'd take an "excellent" rating from KEH any day. "excellent plus" or "like new minus" might are virtually spotless, inside and out.

That said, you have to stay on top of KEH. Their inventory changes daily, and their website is kept up to date.

In general terms (you can search KEH as well as I), expect to pay (US)$1400 to $2000 for a 50/4 CFI FLE, 100/3.5 CFI or 180/4 CFI in this condition. A 120/4 CFI will cost $1600-2100. A 60/3.5 will cost $800 to $1200.

If you don't have a 200-series Hasselblad, you don't need a CFE.

Hi, I happen to have a 100 cfi and a 60 cf and will be selling both shortly with my 500c/m and 2 backs. I'm not trying to sell here in this post and I think I can get more off the auction site but I wanted to let you know what I think they're worth. The 100 is absolutely mint in box and I thinkd it's worth 1600-1700, the 60 is abs. mint, no box and worth 1000-1100 now. A few months ago the 60's were going for about 800 and I don't know why they increased, they aren't very popular because of their closeness to the 80mm so maybe the price is due to rarity. If you are like me and have some weird fetish for only the best you won't be satisfied until you get the 100mm even though the 80 is much less money and a very good lens. I like the 60 also which is almost distortion free and gives a bit of wide angle without going overboard. The 2 lens combination is great and you can always add the 180 later which is a fantastic lens. the 50, 100, 180 is also a great combination. I recently sold a 50 cf fle, again mint, for 1200.00 and I think they're a little less than that now, and like the previous poster stated, you don't need the cfi/cfe with the 500 series, and I believe the cf's are built as good or better, structure wise and with better dust prevention. Bob.

CFI lenses incorporate many improvements over CF lenses. They employ a better mainspring, better anti-reflective treatment inside the lens, smoother focusing and a locking PC terminal (which also locks standard PC tips).

CFE lenses have electronics which transfer shutter and aperture data to series 200 cameras. Otherwise, they are almost the same as CFI lenses.

FWIV, I recently sold a 80mm CF for $450 on eBay and bought a 100mm CF for $1210, and earlier a 50mm CF FLE for $1170. Both were in near mint condition. You would expect a premium for the electronics in CFE and CFi lenses, but the optics are essentially unchanged.

I can't speak about the 120 and 180, but according to Dominique Cesari, the 180 is good (not superlative like the 100), while the 120 (I assume you are talking about the Makro-Planar) is excellent as a macro lens but not as good at infinity focus and presumably for portraits.

Poon is a great guy ("etefore" on Ebay) - I bought a 501 kit, 120, 80 through him. Very fast shipping, no taxes, etc. Good to do business with. His prices are so low for new equip., I went with him instead of buying used for essentially the same price (that was in 2000).

I have a 120, but used to use a 180. The 120 (In my opinion) is too short for portraits. Just doesn't look right perepective wise.

The 50 is a great lens I couldn't live without. The 100 is sharp, but not much of a change compared to the 80 (if you're getting one with a kit). 60 is also nice, but same problem as above. A nice set up would be a 50, 80, 150.

My two cents

Dave

The 150 is a classic, and the 180 works just as well. The 180 is VERY sharp!

This year I have bought a 503 kit, a 120 and a 180 off him. The equipment is new. I sent my cards in to Hasselblad and everything was fine. I had a problem with the flag that shows the back is cocked and Hasselblad fixed it no questions asked.

I would recommend them. As someone said their prices for new kit are what you would expect to pay for secondhand equipment.

The 120 has pretty much replaced the 150 as the portrait lens of choice, look at the web site of howard schatz and his portraits, he pretty much uses the 120 exclusively for portraits, also you can check out the gallery section of the hasselblad website for images and the lens used, the 120 is the ticket. A good lens choice would be 60, 120, skip the 80.

Poon is a reliable seller, and was very quick when I ordered some non-Hasselblad items

from him.

As others have said, KEH is a good guide for pricing. EBay is hit or miss.

As for the 100/3.5 CF; I think one with caps could be had for $800-1000, in excellent

condition. A CFi version of the same, with that smart little red nubbin on the ring is

selling now for around $1300, near mint. $1800 for one is ambitious, despite the new

selling cost of $1000 more. Shop around.

Another vote of confidence for Poon at HK.

You should read the various forum posts authored by Kornelius Fleischer. He works for

Zeiss, and has written a great deal of the virtues of the various lenses. He has very nice

things to say about the 100mm/3.5, versus the 120Makro and others.

http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member-all?

proc_name=bboard&user_id=34530

I'm also thinking about this lens choice: between the 120, 150FE, + 80, or 110FE + 50 or

60mm.... There is a lot to read, but with everyone having their own preferences for various

characteristics, and with few people having direct experience with all of the glass you're

contemplating, it's still a matter of speculation.