photoshop educational

My sister is a college student and can get me a photoshop educational

version. She looked all over the box and it does not say what

version it is, other than educational. Does anyone know about this?

Does it compare to photoshop 7.0 or 8.0? Does it matter? I've never

used photoshop before. Will I be able to upgrade this later to

another version of photoshop if it comes out?

The current version is called Photoshop CS (it's actually version 8.0). BTW, who is the college student? ;-) You should say, "she can get herself ..." and it's probably legal if you use it too, from time to time. I don't know if the educational versions can be upgraded, I doubt it. But you should be able to figure that out from www.adobe.com.

I bought the educational version of Photoshop CS in the UK a few months ago (I'm a student). As far as I can tell the only difference is that it says 'Educational version' on the splash screen as the program loads.

I remember reading somewhere on the net that people successfully applied the PS CS upgrade to education versions of PS 6 and 7. Presumably adobe are happy to get you on the upgrade path. You might want to ask adobe to be sure.

My license for photoshop states that I may install it on two machines at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Mike

For $100 more than the PS CS $299 educational price, there is an educational version of the entire $1200 <a href="http://www.adobe.com/education/ed_products/creativesuite.html">Adobe Creative Suite Premium</a> (which, of course, includes Photoshop CS). That's a savings of about $800.<p>The downside with the Creative Suite package, according to Adobe, is that you cannot upgrade the individual programs such as PS CS in the future. That's a bridge I'll cross if/when I get there.

From Adobe's website:<p><a href="http://www.adobe.com/activation/main.html"><p>Q: May I use the software on more than one computer at a time?<p>A: The activation process supports installation on two machines. Adobe's Product License Agreement allows a user to install the product on a primary and a secondary computer as long as the product is not used simultaneously on the two machines. While the activation process supports installing and activating Adobe software on two machines, the usage of the product on the secondary computer is restricted to the main user who licensed the software. Allowing others to use Adobe software on a secondary computer violates the Product License Agreement.

</a><p>Also, from <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/cs_combined.pdf">p64 of the End User License Agreement pdf file:</a><br>2.4 Portable or home. The primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed may install a second copy for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.