Choosing a rangefinder

amarkin

I've decided to buy myself another rangefinder. The first one is very old and

needs some servicing before I can capture decent pictures with it.

Criteria for a rangefinder.

Budget $300

It need to come with a light meter

It needs to use not so expensive, easy to find batteries if the batteries are

need at all.

I would like to have a camera with interchangeble lenses. In case, I decide to

use rangefinder full time and would want to buy another lens for it. The options

are opened, if there's a rangefinder with a fantastic fixed lens, I'd consider too.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed

$300 is a tall order, especially for an interchangeable lens rangefinder. If that isn't needed, there are certainly some fixed lens rangefinders that might fit the bill.

Maybe Konica I, II, or III rangefinders and maybe an old Weston Master selenium meter. Maybe a Minolta 7s? Maybe a Kodak Retina IIA. I'd recommend the russian ones, but there is too good a chance you'd need to have it repaired.

For interchangeable lenses, you "might" find a used Voigtlander with a lens for cheap enough, but it would be tight. You could try for a Canon 7 (maybe with a broken meter) and it's 50/1.8 lens. I got my Leica IIIf BD for about $200 with a lens, but it was broken and I had to put about that same amount into having it put back into shape.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.

You could buy a bagful of these "junkbin specials" off the 'bay and end up with a bookshelf full of interesting cameras without a reliable one amongst the lot, having spent almost as much as for a fully-serviced and warranteed "user" Leica from a reputable dealer. Certainly a Bessa R (which takes the Leica screw mount lenses) or an R2 (M-mount, screw with adaptor) fits your criteria and hasn't spent 20 of the last 30 years in someone's grandpa's attic.

It's the only rangefinder I own, so my experience is limited, but I love my Olympus XA

(ancestor of the Olympus Stylus Epic aka Mju-II, which I also own). It's a real rangefinder,

though with a fixed lens. But you said you were willing to consider fixed lens. They're

available for well under $300, so you might still be able to buy something else as well.

Genuine coupled rangefinder, metered, aperture priority, exposure compensation,

commonly-available battery, 35mm/f2.8 lens, timer. It weighs 8oz and is seriously

pocketable, which is pretty unusual with any camera offering this level of control. A much-

loved and regularly-used camera in my little collection. Everyone should own at least one

very pocketable camera! <A HREF="http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/

olympus_xa.html">More...</A>

<P>

Roger Hicks, who has posted here in the past, has quite an interesting book on

rangefinders. It's available <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/Rangefinder-Equipment-

Techniques-Roger-Hicks/dp/1861083300">on Amazon</A>. Covers a wide range of kit

so you might get some ideas in there.

Cameraquest has the specs for all the Bessas. The Bessa L doesn't have a viewfinder, if that matters to you.

The Bessa R and lens can be found used for under $400.

Personally, I use a Canon Canonet with a fixed lens. Look for used cameras at rangefinderforum.com's classifieds section. There are some *great* deals there.

Alex, spend an hour or so at www.cameraquest.com and you'll learn tons about rangefinders old and new. Check out the Classic Cameras Profiles link on the home page to read about several cameras that fit your description. I can't imagine that any basic question you have will not be answered on that one website. Although not interchangeable, any of the compact 35mm models from Canon, Petri, Konica, Yashica, et al will make very nice pictures at your price range or less. And most have good basic light meters.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a battered Bessa R - and have matched it with a Zorki L61 55mm lens - it's a great combination. The zorki was cheap as chips off a market stall in Bulgaria - with brand new fed 5 attached only ?12 - but the Bessa lots easier to use, more pocketable etc.

Curious that people worry so much about rangefinder alignment. My local expert said that at as long as it works in one plane it'll focus fine - and he seems to be right.

btw: google the zorki l61 - it uses glass developed out of the Soviet space race (remember, they got there first) and, for a Russian anything is remarkably unclunky and user friendly.

(On that note - can anyone recommend a Russian wide angle lens compatible with a bessa R?