Hello.

My first proper wedding shoot is coming along in August and I have a

reception to photograph in April.

In April (the reception job) I intend to use my D70 + 18-70mm + 50mm

AF f/1.4D + SB600 flash and also a Voigtlander Bessa R3A + Summicron

50mm f/2 for film.

By August I will have bought a second D70 and a second SB-600 flash

and will have the new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM on one D70 and the

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC on the other (both carrying an SB-600 flash)

Spare fully charged batteries, plenty of film and AAs for the flashes

and more than enough CF card capacity (2 x 1 gig and 2 x 512meg

Sandisk Ultra) can be assumed and I already have a decent Manfrotto

tripod. My current 50mm f/1.4D and 18-70mm lenses will then

be 'spares' packed away in case of accident or failure.

By August I will have upgraded my PS7 to PS CS and doubled the RAM on

the PC. I will be backing everything up to CD or DVD

All printing will be done from digital files by a good local Frontier

& Noritsu lab who are used to doing professional work. (Colour and

B&W & E6 and all 120 formats, traditional & digital they do the lot

in house and local to me.)

I will be VAT registered and insured and have my paperwork printed up

(contracts/invoices etc.)

I am going to get a website up and going shortly after August (after

I get some good results to go on it I hope!)

And of course a couple of smart suits and a much larger Billingham

bag (Black) to hold this lot.

A friend will be working with me when I get larger weddings to do. He

is formally trained in photography (City & Guilds) and studio work

and has assisted/shot at weddings before.

Have I forgotten anything? (Yes, I am getting a couple of sto-fen

diffusers for the SB-600s)

Thanks

your lenses seem in order, or will be after your shopping. i'd get at least another 1.5 gig of cf, (shooting in raw?)

i'd get...

the more powerful sb-800

a strobo flash bracket

we're having an excellent discussion on external batteries a few threads down which i reccomend reading and reccomend not doing a wedding without one. you simply need the recylcing time, especially during dark receptions and first dances and such. AA's always need changing at the worst time too...

i think it was Melissa that put together an excellent check list a few months ago. someone here will have a link to it as it's awesome (and then i can book mark it too).

Trevor,

Consider getting one Long Lens. I have a Nikkor 80-200 2.8 (around $300 used from

KEH). You can put that on one D70 on a Tripod and wear your other D70 with a wider

focal length on it. A 180 2.8 Prime is much lighter.

I find that a Strobe Bracket isn't needed with an SB800 (should be the same with the 600?)

I just use it pointing up with a Stofen or with the built-in Bounce Card (not sure if the 600

has the card). You just re-aim the SB's Head for Portrait orientation. I do have the Off-

Camera Cord and use it for Handheld Flash (when I want more extreme angles for the

Flash).

A couple of things....the Nikkor 85 1.8 is one of the best lenses for the money. CHEAP

from www.keh.com

I use a Nikkor 35-70 2.8 that I got used for around $300. Looks much better than the

Tamron 2.8 I was previously using.

Also, Download a Demo of "Noise Ninja". It works REALLY well and allows you to

drastically clean up high ISO noise.

I have one SB-600 already and I have 2 Sto-fen Omni bounce's for the SB-600s on their way via International air mail.

Yes, I will be using RAW for (at the very least) all the formal shots.

I do not know how many pics you guys take at a wedding but here in my city (in the UK) the very LEAST expensive wedding package from a good local studio is 450 GB pounds for twelve 7x5 prints (chosen from a selection of 20-24 shots) It jumps to about 700 GBP for 24 7x5s and so on. In the nearby city of Chichester (a bit posher) the cheapest package I have researched was 995 GBP for not much more!

I am aiming to provide much more than this, obviously, but not 1000s of shots.

Thanks for the info on batteries.

maybe some sort of close up attachment?

I have the canon 500D which I use often at weddings for details shots. I'm sure there are

nikon equivelents.

a little beltpack for film, extra cards, batts etc.

I would also second the usefullness of a somewhat longer lens. doesn't need to be a

monster zoom like the 80-200 (although it's a useful lens). Maybe a 135mm?

This one is not at all needed, but........

I get good bit of use out of my VC 21mm on a bessa L at weddings. It's a great lens and I

keep the bessa loaded with high speed B+W film. Again, it's certianly not a must have

item bit it's a reallly great lens for the money.

Other things:

a bottle of water on my belt. Looks silly but who cares. I really recommend this.

a roll of gaffers tape (a hold over from my production days but somehow always comes in

handy)

a few lens cloths and a larger hand towel (I mostly shoot on the beach though so maybe

not so important for you)

really good shoes (maybe the most important peice of kit)

plenty of business cards

a snack of some kind. I prefer Cliff Bars (like a powerbar). Even though I get fed it's good

to have a backup.

A pack of RIce Paper powdered tissues. Palladio brand. been using them for years. Great

for formals or semi-formals, especially anything shot after there's been any drinking and/

or dancing. people get sweaty and shiny. I usually use them on men as the women are

generally on top of it with their own stuff but some brides have been so grateful that I had

something because their own makeup was not on hand. you just pull out one of the little

pages and hand it to them. They need only touch it to their skin, no rubbing or

powdering. works great!

goodl luck!

Thanks. Shoes are not a problem, I always wear comfortable shoes as my normal (up until now) photography involves walking for many miles at a time.

All the pouches and belts may look odd. All the wedding photographers I have ever seen wear a smart suit and white shirt and tie. It seems to be expected and (if I knew no better) I would expect my wedding photographer to be dressed to suit the occasion.

However, I agree about the long lens and the Nikon 85mm f/1.8 (or f/1.4) will serve well with an eqivalent focal length of about 130mm on the D70.

Most churches in my immediate area absolutely forbid photography/video during the service (I have asked around and spoken to quite a few 'Reverands' and church officials) so aisle shots etc are out unless you hire the church at a later/earlier date to 'set-up' the shots! (Ridiculous but the party line seems to be that the service is a sacred moment and not a media event.) I was suprised at this but at least I am forewarned.

I actually wear a much larger belt system, as do a good number of working wedding

photogs I know (at least here in the states). The system I use is from kenesis. makes life

much easier.

I never ever wear a tie when I'm shooting, they get in the way like crazy. I rarely do

anything even

resembling a formal wedding so as often as not I'm wearing shorts and a polo shirt, but

even when I do a more formal attire wedding I always explain that I won't be wearing a tie.

Never had a problem. I do wear a suit for those.

the 85 (135ish) is a good length but not much different than what you're getting with your

zoom. I was thinking of a 135 in digital terms as a focal lenth that might give you a little

extra reach. I find that the 70-200 I use with the 20D is a very useful lens and as often as

not I have it around 135. Next time I get a chance to go shopping I think I'll add a 135 to

carry in place of the 70-200. Much lighter and a little faster as well.

anyway, sounds like you're pretty much good to go though with what you've outlined.

cheers

lucass

Trevor,

When you inquired about Photos in the service, you should ask about Non-Flash photos

where you aren't running around the church...if that's not allowed you should ask about

non-flash shooting from a Balcony. Most uptight churches will allow that.

The 85 1.8 is excellent for non-flash candid shots where you don't want the subjects

aware...I use my 80-200 2.8 for that as well.

jmp

jmp

Trevor, I agree with what's been said already. At my lasy wedding I rented the 70-200 f2.8 VR. It's a great lens but a bit large. I recently purchased the 135mm F2 DC Nikkor and I can't wait to use it as my "long" lens at my next wedding. I've shot some pics of my family with it and it's a great piece of glass. I agree that adding an SB 800 makes sense. It has a few more capabilities, comes with a diffuser and some gels and has an extra battery for faster recycle time. Then you can get a bunch more sb 600's some day and run them all with your sb 800. Also, if you wear spectacles, bring an extra pair. At my last wedding, a lens fell out and I thought I was having a stroke because I couldn't see. Fortunately I didn't live far from the church and ran home to get my back-up pair.

<i>Thanks. Shoes are not a problem, I always wear comfortable shoes as my normal (up until now) photography involves walking for many miles at a time</i>

<p>

Trevor,

<p>

what shoes do you wear that are both comfortable for walking long distances and still look good with a suit. I've yet to find a single pair to cater for both scenarios

Don't know what Trevor wears, but I really like Rockports. They are VERY lightweight, come in formal styles, and are extremely comfortable for long periods of time. They also have "grippy" soles, which is nice if you ever have to venture onto wet tile.

I also wear Doc Martens. They do shoes as well as (the more famous) boots and are superbly comfortable.

I have UK size 11 (US size 12) feet and it has always been important to me to be comfortably shod. (Just about THE most important photographic necessity is really good boots/shoes!)

I shoot weddings in the UK, I charge about 400 quid for 200 proofs, I know I'm shooting for the lower end of the market, but then I have 9 weddings booked up for the next couple of months...

Peak Imaging in Sheffield charge 0.31p per 7X5" print if the order is over 100 prints (digital). They print on Fuji Proffessional paper and the colour consistency is great. Just an idea...

I have 4 Gig worth of cards and usually shoot close to 3 gig at a wedding, keep in mind that in the 'olden days' of film the advice was to take double to triple the amount of film you intent to shoot, I contend that this should be no different with digital.

Are you sure you want to be VAT registered so soon? For a small business, being VAT registered means that your price may be higher than others in the same market for little return, especially as your VAT payeable expenses will be relatively low.

I've been wearing Doc Marten's (the ten hole boot) since I was 14 for medical reasons, I have weak ankles, they are really, really good!

I've just set up professionally like yourself and will throw in a few comments, although I agree with most of what's been said.

I toyed with the VAT thing but unless you are really going to take off in a big way you are simply going to have to be 17.5% more expensive than you need to be. Especially at the lower end of the market?

Smart suits aren't the best option either. Smart yes but you aren't a guest, you need to be clearly identifiable as the official photographer. Everyone will be in smart suits with a camera and on recent shoots I've done, with a good SLR digital too!

The lst one I saw a few guests actually turn to face another guest tooled up with a 300d and 550x flash!

I wear a light jacket (with tie as I think that is appropriate), good shoes and my Lowpro bag. You are working and that means being comfortable

Webiste - do it now. Populate with any pics you have and get registered on some referal sites. It can take 4 months for the big engines to list you.

Join a professional outfit like BPPA or BIPP.

By insurance do you mean kit or negligence?

Just my two penneth worth.

Kevin

Go over that lot with permanent black marker and a bit of black Kiwi shoe polish Eric!

My local Doc dealer advised my 12 year old daughter to go over the yellow stitching with a permanent marker pen to make them black so the school will not object to her 12 holed Docs.

Back in my youth I polished my boots about thrice a week so permanent marker was not necessary (my old school was rougher than her school and they were grateful if a child turned up never mind what they wore!)

The last thing I need is to suddenly find the local taxmans daughter is getting married and he is paying for the photographer! (He may realise the invoice carrys no VAT number) I would stand to injure my full time career because of being a 'guest of her majesty' or at least have a huge fine to pay.

Equipment insured yes, but I was thinking more along the lines of 'little Tommy' running full tilt into a heavy tripod and injuring himself whilst whilst hyped up from too many sugary drinks! (Or similar)

Trevor,

Thanks for the info on the shoes - they look quite neat. On the VAT side of things I don't think you are required to register for VAT unless you earn something like 45K a year. The downside with registering for VAT, as someone said, is your prices go up. The upside is that you can claim back VAT on all your purchases.

Just to clarify from above that's not 'earn more than' it's a turnover figure. Good and bad here - because if this is an 'additional' income you might reach 45k quickly (if you already earn 30k plus), but as a weekend wedding photographer it might be some time before you turnover 45k.

I'm just warming up to re-enter the wedding world as well, shot my first digital wedding on Saturday and had a great day out.

I thought VAT registration here in the UK was something like 52K.

Far better to remain as a sole trader, and only register when you have to. At least thats the advice Ive had.

BTW, Im in a similar boat to you, starting out on the long 'wedding photographer' road. Expect the digital bit, Im preferring to stay with film (the Canon T90/Mamiya habit dies hard).