Ansco ShurFlash blows my mind

Glad you like it.

I had been growing increasingly disappointed with my Epson 3170 due to the controls being such a pain in the ass. I trashed a bunch of negs due to them not registering when previewed, or due to the Epson software skewing them badly. Impusively destructive, wish I hadn't done that now as I figured out how to change the preview from the idiot-switch to the standard "preview the table" mode which previews whatever is on the glass, holder included, rather than try to interpret whether or not I have slides/film in the holders. Really pissed at myself now.

The good news, of course, is I have solved a minor mystery. And my scans should improve from here one, double-plus-good as I recently acquired an Oly XA that does nice things with Provia 100 loaded. My waning interesting in MF is now also rekindled due this revelation. I had simply grown tired of disapppointing results at scanning.

I have some more negs to push through, probably redundant really, but we'll see what comes of them. Some 6x9, some 6x6 shot out of a Holga. Also have a bunch of slides yet, shot with the XA.

I'm still scannerless,at the moment-

long story- but I picked up an old scanner,and the next day my 'puter chit the bed- got a new compaq- but it seems the scanner doesn't work with XP, unless I buy a driver that costs about 10 times what I paid for the scanner-I'll pick up a new scanner in a couple of weeks-

Wow -I was given one of these camera just last week. I loaded it up with film yesterday, but I honestly thought I'd be in for a mpre "Diana-esque" type of result. I'm looking forward to developing my first roll. If your shot is any indication of the quality I'm going to see, then I'm in for an unexpected surprise. Good shot!

Don -

Dont know what you're in the market for, but Epson refurbs are money well-spent. The 3170 flatbed can be had for $124 shipped free.

<p/>

<a href="http://tinyurl.com/6yonk">http://tinyurl.com/6yonk</a>

<p/>

I crunched the URL, should work.<p/>

They have the 3200 on sale for $299 refurbished - meaning guaranteed to have been certified/inspected, etcetera (new is $399) - and there are a coupla more higher-end ones.<p/>

Once you figure the Epson software out, good results. You can also run other imaging software as controller.<p/>

CE- thanks for the advice on the scanner-

It's not that I'm not much of a techie, it's that I'm no techie at all-

I was hoping to get something that's "plug and play"?

although Compaq support is great,so I'm not that worried about that any more.

I shoot mostly 120 and 5x7- is that a consideration as to what type of scanner to buy?

Yes on both. The 3170 comes with templates that will handle 6x4.5/6x6/6x7/6x9.

The 4870 info states: Its built-in 6" x 9" transparency unit accommodates film as large as 4" x 5" or up to twenty-four 35mm negative images simultaneously. I dont think that's gonna help you for 5x7.

The Expression 1680 can handle reflective media up to 8.5" x 11.7" and 35mm to 8" x 10" transparencies (optional transparency unit required).

Might find more (ie better) help on large format forum??

The 4870 could probably do 5x7, it just doesn't have a transparency holder for it. The lid and bed would accomodate a homemade one. And there is a guy on the Digital Darkroom forum who makes them. Most scanners require that you at least install a driver of some sort and a TWAIN environment - the program that gives you a way to preview the scan before importing it into Photoshop. However, most of the installation is as simple as putting a cd into the cdrom and waiting for the software to autoinstall. You might have to click the mouse a couple times.

I'm nailing em down with the 3170 now... here's another scan, just in from work and did this one while cooking breakfast for wife and son.

http://www.photo.net/photo/2948046

Warning: this is a big file, original scanwas 1200dpi @100%, resized to roughly 600 x 800. The only adjustment was USM, and adding the silly border.<div>00AOWi-20845084.thumb.jpg.4ede63829f1a7f6864456f07e870b5b9.jpg</div>

my problem with 5x7 is I don't shoot film, but glass and paper negs.

right now I'm trying to work out rice paper tissue mounted on glass-someone over on the alt board,suggested I take a dig photo

of the print , but I'm wondering if I couldn't just scan the print

like a document. can you get decent results with either of these methods?-

You should be able to scan anything that is reflective (i.e. not a transparency or slide) on a document scanner, or in the case of the aforementioned two scanners, using the reflective setting in the scanning options of the scanner software that comes with the scanner. If you have paper negatives, then you can scan as a negative and reverse in Photoshop and adjust as a positive. The only problem I can guess at (not knowing exactly what process you are working with) is if the glass would be between the rice paper and the scanning surface with the image itself on the rice paper. This would put the paper slightly farther away from the scanner lens, and would therefore possibly affect the focus.