Examples of 50mm 1.4 shot wide open...

rusty johnston

It is an excellent lens. I use it as a fast street lens and for available light (dark) shots. If you

enjoy shooting low light scenes, then the 50 f1.4 is a good choice as the 35 mm f1.4 is

twice the cost. The reason it may get flak from a lot of Nikon camera users is that it costs

2x as much as the f1.8 lens (new), is a bit heavier and stops down to f16 and not f22 as

the f1.8 50 mm Nikon lens.

It is a good lens, the only caveats being that the contrast can be a little lower than the F1.8 lens, and the out of focus areas are relatively ugly (if that matters to you). It feels more solid than the 50/1.8 and being able to go to F1.4 does make a difference when shooting available light.

Sorry, I don't have any shots handy.

I love my 50/1.4; use it all the time. For some examples of it, <a href="http://www.sigwinch.org/gallery/casper/Casper_looking_up">this cat</a> and <a href="http://www.sigwinch.org/gallery/portraits/0000094_14">this one</a> were both wide open if I recall correctly. <a href="http://www.sigwinch.org/gallery/portraits/0000093_11">This portrait</a> was the 50, but I don't remember whether or not it was wide open.

The 50/1.4 is a good lens but not quite as brilliant as the f/1.8 version. I wouldn't say there's anything to grieve about it though - just that you pay a penalty in image quality when stopped down to get that faster max aperture. On film, the f/1.4 aperture can be used with good results. On a D70, you have to stop down.

I beg to differ from the above comment. Based on my experience, 50/1.4 is better than 50/1.8 image quality wise. I think the latter is spoken highly mostly due to its cost-benefit ratio. I have never used them on digital body and my experience is limited to film, though.

I agree that they have harsh unfocused areas, and think that's a major weakness of Nikkor 50mm's.

I have shot many thousand pictures with both, and the 50/1.8 is sharper and more contrasty, especially when focused up close and in mid apertures. It also requires no additional hood which is needed on the 1.4. The 1.4 is sharper at f/2 and maybe f/2.8, but by mid apertures if I had a choice, I would always pick the 1.8. Near infinity I think the 1.4 produces a cleaner image but it's difficult to quantify. Maybe there is sample variation? I have used three 1.8s and one 1.4 and the 1.8s were all superior for general photography.

Many magazine and online tests confirm this.

"The only problem with the 1.4 is it's made out of cheap plastic. The filter threads will wear out - unlike the 1.8 which has metel threads on the filter ring."

I think that there's a mis-perception in regard to the "build quality" between the f/1.4 and f/1.8 AF lenses.

The 50mm f/1.4 feels heavier, so I think a lot of people automatically assume that it's built better. There is a lot more glass inside the f/1.4 than the f/1.8, and I think that accounts for how people percieve the build quality.

What I *do* think is done a little nicer between the two lenses is that the focusing ring and aperture ring are far, far smoother in operation in the f/1.4. But I don't think that there's really much of any difference in terms of the construction materials. Neither lens would survive a equal fall any better than the other.

<I>I am really interested in getting decent background blur - anyone suggest 35 & 50mm lenses for Nikon that can do this?</I><P>

I have used most every 50mm lens from every era of Nikon SLRs, and the best blur effect in my opinion (you can't really nemerically rate it, it is just a preference) was from the old pre-AI 50mm f/2.0 Nikkor. I must have had a dozen of these since they always seemed to come on used F and F2 cameras of which I bought a group of. This was a basic design that had a nice out of focus rendition.<P>

I currently use the 35mm f/1.4 AIS lens in that focal length, but the blur effect is distance driven from my experience. As CRC kicks in, the blur gets more jagged looking. My old f/2.0 AIS lens had a better blur effect, being less corrected, but I like the in-focus part from the f/1.4 lens more, so I tolerate the less that nice blur from the faster lens.<P>

I don't want to start a Nikon vs. the other guys war, but those that have never seen the bokeh effects from Lieca M lenses in these focal lengths will never know why people pay those high prices. My Nikkors are sharp, but the Leica lenses with that creamy transition from in to out of focus are really nice. I like to use my Summicrons wide-open so that I'll have a lot of blur, because it looks so good. Having seen the Leica bokeh, it is hard to feel totally satisfied from what I see from the Nikkors as far as this single attribute.

Albert

Thanks for the tips; I have a kodak pro slr/n and thus I would have to handheld meter to use the older lenses (maybe the way to go I suppose). I hate the new AF stuff (digital is what is keeping me in)and would rather have good background blur than ultimate sharpness.

I think your point about the Leica M series is well made, struggle with the idea of film though as I have put away my darkroom but I like the way the camera works.

Tapas