stealing is quite a problem and extra care is required. Ill be traveling

backpacker, and will lodge in really cheap guesthouses etc.(obviously, i know

about the usual precautions to take) Pulling out a nice camera could be kind of

a invitation....My first questions are:

What are your experiences traveling with above avg equipment in the middle of

the streets and caos of india?

I need to buy a bag for this equipment. I still dont understand what type of

bag would be best for travel photography, that has quick access,weather

proof,thief proof,does'nt catch too much the eye, etc etc. Backpack vs.

shoulder vs. purse type???Ive looked at the lowepro Rezo 140 AW....i have a low

budget, so any ideas would be great.

ill probably get leaded bags for x-rays at the airport.

Any info, idea's would be great. Thanks a lot! If anyone is looking for a

backpack buddy around dec, let me know.

James

I had a workmate travel to india to shoot video... You have to be REAL careful. (Also gotta

be careful with the water!)

Suggestion... Get a backpack (maybe even not a photo one) that looks old and worn out

and doesn't even indicate that it has camera stuff inside. Stick some disposable diapers in

the top above your camera gear and have one sticking out. (I've heard of people doing

this... I imagine it would work...)

They might leave it alone then.

Seriously, don't get a great high-end cool looking photo bag. Unless you can layer it inside

some old ratty worn out piece of junk you have lying around.

Also... "maybe a backup"? You're going halfway 'round the world... and "maybe a backup"?

DEFINITELY a backup... You're going to get some great shots, I'm sure of it.

Above all, get insurance that covers you for all your equipment. I note you are on a budget, but don't stint on travel insurance for your equipment. Keep records, of leave photos, of your equipment at home to enable proof of ownership of your kit for insurance purposes.

If you travel by train, get a chain and padlock so you can padlock your bags to the seat when you are sleeping -- although that doesn't prevent the actual bags from being slashed open.

Don't leave anything in your hotel/guest rooms that you're not prepared to lose.

Bring a good high-end pocket camera that produces photographs to your standard of quality, so that if your main kit gets stolen, then you have a fallback.

If you've never travelled in India before, note that it is the norm for transport to run late, even up to a day late. No kidding. Some trains can be a day late. Usualy delay is 3-4 hours. After 3 months travelling in India, you will keel over in shock if you find a train running on time.

India is really dusty, and your equipment will get coated in dust. I guess since you're shooting film, that is not as critical as it would if you were shooting digital DSLR.

India is such a facsinating place that you end up taking more photos than you imagine. I shudder to think of travelling 3 months in India, shooting film, if you are on a budget. On my trip, I used a DSLR, together with a portable hard disk to store photos. But you shoot DSLR, I'd advise to get an all-in-one zoom to minimise lens changing, due to the dust.

One piece of advice I heard long ago is to keep a $100 note in your shoe, so that if everything is stolen off you, you have some cash to cover the immediate needs.

Get some black Gaffer's tape and tape over the logos on your gear. Not only does this camouflage your geat but makes it look "beat up" and less appealing to thieves. A nice new looking photo backpack might not be your best choice either. Again Gaffer's tape along the seams and corners of your bag will make it look less tempting. The rain cover on the Rezo 140 might slow down pick-pockets also. I would consider replaceing the shoulder strap for something with better hardware and more padding. LowePro makes great bags but I just don't like the plastic fasteners they use on their shoulder straps.

If you can find an Olympus Stylus film camera I would carry it as well. It has a fixed 35mm f2.8 lens and is very sharp. The camera is small and easily pocketable. You can get a small water filter from your local sporting goods store or you can drink beer. My friend from Bombay swears by "Kingfisher" beer.

Hello James,

After having made a number of trips through India with cameras, have found that I'm continually cutting back on the stuff carried. Started with a couple of Leica M4's and a bunch of lenses and cut back every trip until last year was with just a 2MP P&S (Canon S330). That was too far, the shutter lag and menu diving to change anything drove me nuts. Earlier this year got a D200, thinking that it would be my next India camera. Am now starting to wonder if this was a wise choice. Am finding that the D200 while being extremely capable, may be more than I want to be packing around back alleys and bazaars. The D200 screams photographer!!, and I like to be inconspicious as much as possible. Have never taken a tripod and never missed it. Most of the monument sites such as the Taj don't permit their use anyway. A bean bag for rested shots is something I might consider. I found India quite safe but kept my gear on me at all times. If you don't have it with you, you can't use it... Be extra cautious about putting stuff down around train and bus stations, but don't be totally paranoid. I never lost any material things in India, only a few delusions.

As far as film goes, Tri-X worked very well for me. Took some slower 125 ASA B&W and a little bit of colour + & -. Liked TX the best for people shots in available light.

Lots of useful information on India travel at these sites. Check out the photography forums over there...

http://www.indiamike.com/

http://www.theindiatree.com/

Have a great time in India, am looking forward to seeing a few of your photos posted here when you get back. A lot of my gallery was shot in India.

Glenn

Welcome to India. Apart from being fully aware of your surroundings, take note of these few things :-

1. India is crowded, especially in big cities. Avoid using a tripod. You will find a crowd around you in no time.

2. Try to be as discreet as possible. In terms of appearance, camera bag, etc.

3. Take precaution against dust. But don't get paranoid. You can always come back to your hotel at the end of the day to clean the body and lenses. As regards dust in film chamber, pray hard to avoid it.

4. Do not venture out alone in odd hours. Ask someone to accompany you.

5. Keep camera bag on your lap while you are resting somewhere.

6. Smaller cities, hill stations, etc. are safer.

If street photography is your goal, carry the camera with one lens on your neck and other two lenses in the pockets of your jacket. Leave the tripod back at hotel. If you have to carry it and shoot during low light levels, ask someone you know to accompany you. Viewing the world with one eye through the viewfinder, is not not the best way to protect your gear.

Take care. Wish you a good trip.

James, don't do it. I don't mean about going to India, I mean about the amount of camera gear you're planning to take. You will not be able to change your lens in public without going insane. You will be lucky to open an umbrella. Actually, you will go insane regardless.

I travelled for 5 weeks in India, but within 5 seconds of leaving the airport, I knew that photography was not going to be a high priority.

I.n.d.i.a - I'll Never Do It Again (borrowed from Lonely Planet).

It has been a few years since I went to India and Pakistan. I carried two Leicas with several lenses. My most used lenses were 35mm and 90mm. If I were going today, I'd carry a fast 35mm, 24-85mm and a spare body. If it were not too heavy, perhaps a 70-210 or similar. I wouldn't bother with flash or a tripod. Forget the leaded bags.

Hi James,

I would not be too concerned about safety in India; there are as many bad people in India

as any other place in the world (people are people are people) but just take the normal

precautions you would do in any strange city/area.

I've travelled 5 times to India with 2 Leica M6s and two lens (28 and 50, in a small over the

shoulder bag (actually a handlebar bag from my bicycle - yes these were cycling trips) and

this combination was ideal. Usually one body with FP4 and one with Provia F. A 400 iso

film would be fine too.

I would say that the 24 lens is a prefect street lens, with the 50 stuck in the bag/ or on the

backup in the bag). I would never had used a 70-150. If you take too much gear then you

will hate schlepping it around all day, every day. I would not take a tripod or flash, but that

is a personal preference.

If you are backpacking then just put your camera bag into the backpack when travelling

put do keep a close eye on it especially at bus/train station. It is not a problem to keep

your camera around your next at all times, as all people see you as a tourist, and tourists

carry cameras - it's nothing unusual.

Don't know what the lead bag stuff is about - just keep all your film (exposed and

unexposed) in your hand luggage and let them xray it - a few doses is totally fine.

Other than that, India is an amazing country with fantastic people and totally mind-

blowing sights - you will have a ball.

One note is that (like many developing countries) the most hassle from locals is in the

areas where most tourists hang out. So, Taj Mahal/Agra is full of pushy, dodgy locals

trying to relieve you of some dollars, yet in central Gujarat (still incredible sights) you will

be left alone totally, and not hassled. Also, I found almost every little unknown town/city

to be packed full of interesting things to see, so (for me, at least) I would forsake some of

the more famous areas (like Jaipur/Johdpur) in favour of some never heard of city/ town

nearby.

Have great fun

David

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. the advice to keep the bags scrabby is a good idea..ill do that. I might bring the tripod though, incase ill want to get some creative shots with water or people movement. As for excesive equipment, i thought i was bringing the bare minimum (its all i got). I know that the 24 and 50 are good for street, but i immagined that 75-150 would be the most used exactly for the fact that i would be less noticed. If i want a portrait (without them knowing) or a close shot with a 24 or 50, i would have to get in their face...and i think they would notice me. The Lowepro holds the camera with a lens attached plus two others. So i should be able to carry everything together without leaving anything in the room. To carry stuff around isnt a problem for me.

MY BIG QUESTION NOW IS, what do i do with the exposed film??? Im planning on shooting anywhere from 30-50 rolls. If leaving the stuff in the room is insecure, how can i carry 30 rolls of film around..no way. I hope it wont be riscky cause thats the most valuble part.

Anyfurther idea's or experiences are very welcomed..ill be checking out this post for a while!!

Thanks again!

James

Italia

James,

Almost all hotels/guesthouses in India will have a secondary (or possibly only) door lock

that takes a padlock. Be sure to take your own padlock with you from home (or bought

locally). Not a huge monster padlock, as the space for the lock to go through is usually not

so large. This will be enough. Also, most 'tourist' guesthouses will have a safe or

something similar. Hey, don't get too paranoid about it. It will all become clear soon

enough....

David

Hello and welcome to India. I had a few suggestions on how to keep yourself and your equipment safe.

1. When getting out off airports/railway stations, you WILL be surrounded by cab drivers offering to take you wherever you'd like to go. DONT pay any heed to them. Go to the nearest "Pre-paid taxi" counter and get a taxi to your destination. These "Pre-paid taxi" counters are available almost everywhere. Also, depending on the city that you are in, there are lots of pre-paid taxi phone numbers that you can call to get a taxi. Call for one and wait a little while (the taxi guys are pure capitalists - so you wont wait long). This way, you'll not be fleeced by the cab/auto guys. This is also a safety measure especially in a city like Bombay. It is not uncommon to hear of taxi guys taking the customer (Indians and non-indians - told you they were capitalists) to some shady galli (small street) and extorting the foreign currencies that he/she might have. Having said that, Bombay is not any more/less dangerous than, say, New York (and I've been to both).

2. Travel light when you are on foot. One backpack with whatever you need and a camera with a wide-tele zoom. Tripods are usually a pain to set up in crowded areas.

3. You state that you are going to stay in really cheap guest houses. If you are going to stay in any one such place for more than a few days, talk to a local bank manager to see if you can use a locker in the bank for a small fee. There might be a refundable deposit for this. You can then keep your valuables in the locker and walk around as much as you want.

4. Most of all, have fun and be prepared to be surprised. You can keep in touch with people back home any time you want. Just stand for a second and look around you and you'll find a cybercafe.

Write back if you'd like any more info.

Deepak

Bangalore, INDIA.

I did the math. At 30-60 rolls for a 3 month trip, that averages to 11-23 shots per day. That's not dissimilar to the rate of my shooting when I toured Europe with a film camera. For every shot, you think to youself beforehand -- "is this shot worth 30 cents" in film and developing.

In contrast, when I toured India with a DSLR, I was averaging over 300-400 shots per day.

India is such a fascinating place that you might like to take more photos than 11-23 shots per day. With digital, you blow through 23 shots in a few minutes.

I also reiterate the suggestion to bring an all-in-one zoom rather than several focal lengths.

Depending on which part of the country you're going to and how touristy your destinations are, you may have entirely different experiences. If you can manage switching lenses in, say, the NYC subway, you won't have a problem. Roadsides will be dusty enough to need care with digital. A tripod will probably be useless - not allowed or extra fee in most historical sites. Leaving film, clothes, and ordinary travel stuff in your room is usually fine.

The best defense outside is to act like there's nothing important in your bag. Obviously doesn't work for when you're actually using your camera. Your N90 and lenses are pretty sturdy - an ordinary backpack or messenger bag with a towel for padding and a couple 1Qt ziplock bags in case it rains will be more inconspicuous than any camera bag. Having a small bag may come in handy otherwise, since its likely that any serious backpack will have to go in the luggage compartment (the roof) if travelling by bus.

Overall, I don't think India is any more dangerous than the poorer parts of big cities everywhere, its just that the hints you're walking into a bad situation are different. There's not much to be done about the fact that foreigners (and Indians visiting from abroad for that matter) stand out like sore thumbs in most places.