Leica CM black, cognac or red?

s._hon

Hi,

I am seriously thinking about buying a Leica CM. I like the regular CM (Black

leatherette, I assume) as well as the cognac brown (real leather, I'm sure).

Now I would like you opinion having the special edition Leica CM. Are they

hold value better than the regular CM? Is the real leather durable than the

black leatherette? What is the advantage and disadvantage owning a special

edition vs. regular production besides the special edition package(cm + SF-

24D) is cheaper than buying the regular CM and the flash seperately.

Thanks.

SHY

If you're buying the CM as a collectible, and you're not using it, then buy the one that's

prettier, but don't get your hopes up. The collectible market for Leica's pocket automatic

cameras is no thrill (check out prices on the Minilux, for example).

If you're buying the CM to take pictures, then I prefer the cognac for obvious reasons.

Spend less money. Buy more film. (Drink more cognac?)

If you are looking at the CM remember the Minilux has an excessive failure rate. We have one here the shutter failed with the message EO2

impossible to repair here. The resale value is $ 50.00 for a camera costing many times that. Perhaps the CM has a better design but I for one will not purchase one.

The CM is an excellent camera, and probably Leicas last film camera of a compact size. I have had no problems with my Minilux, nor with my CM, they are reliable and take splendid pictures. The lens (40/2.4) belongs to leicas best lenses and is comparable to the famous 40/2.0 for the CL.

I do not believe that this camera will have collectors value.

The possibility of using the sf 24 d is a plus, but in real life the built in flash will prove sufficient for normal use.

Buy the color you like best.

Of course, another possibility would be to buy a digital leica such as the D-Lux 3 which I would also warmly recommend. I have the D-Lux 2, which I find excellent, and the D-Lux 3 is an evolution of that camera, just like the CM was an evolution of the Minilux.

I have thought about buying a Panasonic LX-2 (Leica D-Lux 3 twins). However, just think LX-1 just came out in 2005 and now it is LX-2 in 2006. What will be next? LX-3. It just costs a lot of money to find a digital camera that will last because it will always a better and cuter ones created. I might just buy a reliable film camera for creative fun and cheap digicam for snapshots.

I used to have different SLR with big lenses. I once have owned M6 TTL. But I felt it is too big for me to carry around. Then I also had Nikon N80. But I found that I used my compact digicam more because it is very easy to take with me instead of a photography excursion. So Leica CM will be the best for my use. Light and compact with wonderful lense.

I wonder if the built-in flash is powerful enough to take indoor pictures. So the SF-24D is overkill to use on the CM?

How would you carry the CM? Does it come with a neck strap? Or I need to buy a Leica-time half leather case or Leica ever ready case. I like the wrist strap which comes with the camera. But I probably will need the neck strap/shoulder strap if I have the SF-24D on the camera.

Thanks for the advice.

SHY

yes I did 'fake metaphor' (how I love people who are too paranoid to post under their own names). Firstly...the excessive failure rate...something like 5% or Minilux's suffered this fate, no worse than, say the 'backfocus issue' with Canon 20D's. At least Leica owned up to the problem...Canon service still says 'we have an upgrade to rectify the issue...but there's no problem'. But I digress...Manfred implies (and I think I am reading his post right)...that most Minilux's suffered the E02 failure (false) so implying that $50 us what a used Minilux is worth. He could be a little more accurate in his portrayal of the issue.

Leica has a beautiful brown leather everready case in retro design, which you will love. If you want a handy camera, do not plan to use it regularly with the sf 24 d mounted. The charm of the CM is its small size. OTOH having the flash won't hurt - it can also be used with other Leicas, including the M8. Good luck!!!

The Minilux and the CM have a different shutter design and the CM will not experience the E02 failure. Dave at Leica USA told me the cost to repair a Minilux E02 is about $100. I've heard as much as $175 elsewhere on the forum.

Get the cognac brown cover. It's really nice looking. Also, don't forget the promotion they have running with the CM. I thnink it includes a flash and case. Not sure; check B&H.

Good luck.

The Minilux/CM are cameras that inherit the concept of the Oscar Barnack Ideal Camera: small, easy-to-carry 35mm cameras fitted with a supurb optic.You can do an awful lot with that 40mm lens and both cameras take the longer lasting 123 power cell rather than the CR-2. So far as the E02 shutter failure is concerned, if a hundred bucks can fix it, that's not such a bad deal if, in fact, it ever happens. I've spent more than that just to have my M6's rangefinder adjusted. I'd even think about trading the M6 on a CM except that B&H seems to have more Ms than they can sell at the moment.

I have owned a M6 TTL before. Every time I bring this camera with me. I felt like I was carrying a brick. I understand it's as solid as brick. But it is hard to be a carry-with-it-everyday camera. I think CM will fit my needs.

I hardly found CM on ebay. Even I did a search on google and yahoo. Only a very few online stores were shown up for sale. B & H has the special edition (Red or Cognac) with SF-24D. However, the regular black leatherette comes with no special package. So buying a black and SF-24D seperately will cost more than the special edition. I checked Adorama and they don't have the special edition listed at all. Are they supposed to be the same store??

Thanks for mentioning the cognac leather. I also concern about the leather can be easily scratched. I am going to use the camera very frequently. I hate to see the leather get scratched up real fast. I don't like to be extremely careful with the camera and try to avoid it getting scratched. Plus, I cannot keep the camera in the box and take it out admiring everyday. Hmmm.... I might just get the regular black.