$x5 Conversion

drew bedo

Has anyone converted say, a Mamiya C-220/330 to 4x5? I realise that there are

issues with back-focus and so on. The interchangable lense boards would ease

lense-swapping. Is this too far off to be done. The bodies are cheaper than

Polaroid 110B on e-bay now. Is this worth looking at seriously?

Thanks for the responses. I am aware of the coverage issue. The choice of the c-220/330 seriee is primarily for the intercangable lense plates and long focusing draw. These features allow a set of lenses that will cover the 4x5 format while the focus draw/extension will allow for infinity focus with the altered film plane. Some of the old press camera lenses in the 127mm to 135mm range would be a starting place.

I am also aware of the excellent Gowland cameras (I thought Peter Gowland had passed away reciently). These cameras are large-ish, hefty and costly.

I started looking at this concept while looking for alternatives to the Littman-type of camera format. This C-220/330 format would be less compact than the Polaroid based cameras. but the Polaroid 110B bodies are now selling for $150 to $200+ on e-bay these days. Again; thanks for your thoughtful input on this.

What's the point? How are you going to compose with a finder screen smaller than 4x5? The real problem isn't flange-top-film distance, its expanding a 56 mm x 56 mm gate to 95 x 120 or 120 x 95. How do you propose to do that? Pray that someone will tell you the trick?

Better to start from scratch and make a Gowland. Or be sensible and get a Graphic. Or a Graflex. Or even buy a Gowland. If you want to stray from the beaten path, get a Mentor.

"The choice of the c-220/330 seriee is primarily for the intercangable lense plates and long focusing draw."

You'd get more lens options and more draw with a $200 Crown or Speed Graphic, and it would actually work. Not to mention being able to see what you're taking a picture of.

There were sheet film adaptors for the Mamiya TLRs, but IIRC they weren't 4x5.

Steve

Drew, you absolutely CAN expand the format of the Mamiya cameras to 4x5.<p>And it

wouldn't be that difficult to do.<p>You have to retard the film plane of the camera and the

view screen, the same way that the 4x5 Gowlandflex can be expanded to 5x7. <p>There's a

picture of the Gowlandflex 4x5 camera converted to 5x7 you can see <A HREF="http://

www.petergowland.com/camera/repairs/"> if you click here,</A> and scroll down to the the

bottom photo on the page.<div>00IQH5-32938084.jpg.64afc1c87000550e7b3437212a69be00.jpg</div>

Like 127mm lenses from the Polaroid 110B, for example.<p>As long as the rear element can

clear the camera, the lens can focus to infinity and there's no internal cut off from the body

of the camera, the camera will operate as it did originally, ( cocking and firing the shutter

through the camera body ), only taking 4x5 photos.<p>You'll have to recalibrate the f:stop

markings on the shutter for the new lens cells..<div>00IQHe-32938384.JPG.d5d6195a746b163368ca0325a6698bf3.JPG</div>

Noah;

Thanks for actually thinking about what might be possable. There are thousands of these bodies (and lense sets) around. The bodies are going for about the same as a Polaroid 110B.

I had another thought yesturday; a relay lense at the original film plane to throw an enlarged image onto the expanded film plane. Like a reversed enlarger...is this optically possable, or have I had a "Brain-Burp"? I had a fevered vision of a camera-back to attach to a Hasselblad body. "Blads are almost as cheap now as Polaroids are expensive. There are millions of Hasselblads just rotting in closets out there now.

Regards;

Drew Bedo