turning into digital EOS SLR System

chriss1

I have been using my first SLR EOS 300 for 3 years. I have learnt a lot but,

unfortunatelly, there are expensive slide films and labs they are processing

them in my country. I'm an amateur and don't earn money from selling my images.

I have to turn into digital system because of costs and limitations of my old

camera, and due to labs in my city that wasting films too often.

<br>

<br>

1. I would ask if is new 400D (XTi) much better than lot cheaper 350D (Digital

Rebel XT) that I have been considering long time to buy, are there any

significant differents? I have only two lenses (designed for analog system -

35-80 in set with my camera and 20-35 I would still remain in use) so I'm

thinking anout buying set (probably with most popular 18-55). And my second

question...

<br>

<br>

2. Is a 18-55 wide enough to be used nearer 18 mm with satisfaction like using

20 mm in analog standard or I will have to buy other lens?

<br>

<br>

My priority is to improve quality of my photos. I use my equipment to shot

landscapes. The 20D/30D are rather out of my financial capabilities...

<br>

<br>

Thank everyone for help

There is not much difference between 18 and 20 mm. I would not purchase the 18-55mm lens. The 18-55 can be purchased for $65 or so used. If the 20 mm is not wide enough for you, a 10-20 zoom, a 12-24 zoom , or a wide prime would be my recomendation over the 18-55. The 10-20 and 12-24 zooms are generally better but much more expensive lenses than the 18-55.

The 400D will come down in price after Christmas. It may come down before but is more likely to in 2007.

The 400D is better in many ways. I have a 300D/DRebel and did not upgrade to the 350D/XT but, have purchased the XTi with the Canon grip. I would recomend purchase of the XTi. The XT is 18 months older. The next lowend camera will make the XT look as long of tooth as the DRebel does today. Like computers I always buy current but not bleading edge products. I get a longer life out of them. I classify the 400D/XTi in this catigory.

I understand a generic grip is available for the XT/XTi in the $70 range. You may want to consider a grip for the XT/XTi as the camera is much smaller than the film camera you own.

Hi Chris,

Sheldon is right... coming from a full frame film camera, your widest lens at actual 20mm will feel like a 32mm, effectively. You'll need at least a 12mm focal length lens to get the same angle of coverage on the APS-C size sensor of the digital camera. 12mm = 19.2mm, effectively.

For the digital Rebels, 20D and 30D (currently) you can calculate the effective focal length(s) of any lens you have or are consdering, simply by multiplying the actual focal length by 1.6X. This can give you a quick reference to the angle of coverage you are accustomed to seeing with your film camera.

Most of the extra wide focal length lenses now being offered for smaller sensor digital SLRs are only usable on those cameras. They do not produce a large enough image circle to completely cover the 24x36mm area of so-called full frame digital or film cameras. Some of Canon's lenses (EF-S designation) use a slightly different bayonet mount that prevents them being using on other than the recent Rebel, 20D and 30D. This is not the case with 3rd party lenses.

For the scenic shooting you like to do, you will probably want the highest resolution you can get, such as the new Rebel's 10+MP. Lens quality will be of greatest importance, too.

Alan

I did't understand the "18 mm with satisfaction like using 20 mm". My advise is still valid. I have the Sigma 12-24 lens. It is a full frame lens. You can use it on your current camera. It is the only 10-20/12-24 lens available for canon that can be used with no vignetting on a full frame camera.

I meant that need a wide lens as a counterpart of my 20-35 but in digital system. The 20-35 won't be a superwide when using with EOS XTi so I'm thinking about buying XTi set (18-55 or 18-55 and 55-200). Unfortunatelly, Sigma lens costs as much as XTi with 18-55 and remains out of my capabilities. I would be grateful if someone has already used one or both Canon lenses that I mentioned and can tell that are worth or not worth buying. Thank very much for answers