Would you rather have the M8+28/2.8 or a round the world trip?

sparkie

I figure that an M8 body plus the 28/2.8 is gonna cost in the region of 3,910.00 UK pounds, or

7,235.00 US dollars. Would you rather..

1. have the camera & lens

or

2. go on a round the world trip travelling and shooting with your film leica M's

I know what you are thinking, but I don't think the question is all that relevent. For most of

the people who will buy the M8, they will either have the money for both, or have the money

for one or the other, but no time for the round the world trip. Also, I would imagine that

most buyers have a family or spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend, and it would not really go over

well with their significant other if they went on a 7000 dollar trip without taking them along

(i.e. making it a 14000 dollar trip). So anyway, that's my take.

If I couldn't afford both I believe I would not consider myself in a position to be spending $7200 on either a trip or a camera. But playing along with the hypothetical question, I would go for the trip because there are less expensive substitutions for the camera but nothing other than an around the world trip is equivalent to an around the world trip. However I would take my D70 not my film Leica Ms. Since money had been an object, saving the cost of a couple hundred rolls of film plus processing would therefore be important. Not to mention the number of times it would probably have to pass through airport carryon X-ray on such a trip.

That's a great question. I travel a bit on business. Usually alone, perhaps meeting a colleague. I don't think I'd be interested in a trip around the world by myself. If I could take my ten-year-old, I'd love it. So, assuming I could drag him along (or the nine-year-old) I'd take the trip. Oh and the M6's and a cupla lenses and a roll or two of film. :->)

I was a traveler for a bit less than two years in the early '90s, I went around the world for much less than $7 grand. Work as you go, learn to walk, eat whatever is cheapest, stay on the cheap and know that strangers can be your best friends. I brought a Pentax MX with a 50mm lens and a ton of black and white. I didn't shoot as much as I thought I would but the memories have lasted. I would take the trip.

Well, to answer the hypothetical (if I had to choose one or the other) I'd say the trip, since

obviously I already have cameras I can take. But realistically I'd buy an M8 to take on an

around the world trip (to have the lightness of an RF, while leaving behind film).

j