EOS Drebel / 300D with studio flash

scotshot

Hi, perhaps someone is using this combo EOS 300D and Portaflash series

3 flash kit. Will i have any problems triggering the flash with hot

shoe adaptor and sync cable. I heard there was a problem with the

voltage. Can anyone shed some "light" :0) on this. Thanks, Jim.

You can check it with a voltmeter. Its is easy to do. Take it to your local camera store that sells pro strobes. Also to a search for "strobe sync voltage" on the internet and you will find a list of tested sync voltages for various strobes at botzilla.

It is not a matter of using a sync cable - it is the trigger voltage of your strobe that must be checked.

Good for you for wanting to practice "safe sync" - many people overlook this! -Paul

Built in flash to trigger the strobes has one major hangup: Pre-flash.

The built in flash uses E-TTL, which has pre-flash to meter how much "real" flash will be used. The pre-flash fires before the shutter opens, BUT will trigger the studio strobes.

Since there's only a split second between, the studio strobes don't usually have time to recharge, so you don't get a flash when the shutter is open.

You have two ways around this. 1) Use FEC, hit the * button to fire the preflash, then wait a couple of seconds for the studio strobes to recharge, then take the second shot. You may also want to dial down the flash to make sure your built in flash doesn't contribute much to the shot (requires the Wasia hack).

2) Use a TTL only flash (like a Vivitar 730AF, goes to manual mode) or Manual setting (on a Sigma EF-500 Super DG), as manual mode has no preflash.

Jose, thanks for the advice as i had not thought about pre-flash. i will try using and old metz flash i have also no preflash will set it at f4 enough to trigger the flash but have the strobes set at f11-f16 so the metz will have no effect on the exposure. Thanks again, jim.