5D settings

terry_evans3

Hello,

I just received my 5D and lenses today and was anxious to try it out. I

mounted the 24-70 and went out in the back yard. Shot images of the John

Deer, flowers, anything available. I used the fully automatic mode to start.

I was using the large jpeg setting.

I was somewhat disappointed in the results. I was used to the Fuji S2 and

expected something pretty close from the automatic feature. I adjusted the

white balance and anything I thought would make an improvement, and got

better, but still average results. I was expecting a well exposed image with

great resolution and color.

Even though I have a huge learning curve, is there a combination of settings

or adjustments I can start with that is not so discouraging at first. I came

really close to packing it back up and trading for the S3.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Terry

Out of the box default settings are lifeless and dull in DSLRs. After all, every photog has

different tastes so they set defaults as neutral as possible. If they set defaults at high

saturation and contrast people would complain like crazy. The reason you buy a DSLR is

for the control and thus Canon expects you to set parameters to taste, hence every control

and option is at your fingertips. If you prefer a point 'n shoot experience, you bought the

wrong camera.

If you're particular about imagine quality, stand clear of full auto mode. It castrates the

photographer, leaving them at the mercy of the computer algorithms. Although a software

engineer may like the results, a photographer may not.

Stay in the "Creative Zone." This allows you to set metering patterns, AF and drive options,

CFs, WB and use RAW. Next, use RAW capture and monkey with the Picture Styles, WB,

contrast, saturation, etc., in DPP util you get the results you like. Once you're in the ball

park, set the camera parameters as you preferred in DPP. Thus the camera will default to

your fav settings. I save my fav settings in a custom Picture Style and set as default. Thus I

need very little post-processing. The 5D is the best camera I've ever used.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Terry,

So your 5D has arrived! Congratulations. Once you learn how to make it do its thing, you will love it.

I prefer to set my 5D to give fairly neutral (ie bland looking) photos out of the camera. That give me more latitude to work with the images later on in the computer. It does mean more post processing time, but it also means maximum potential for adjusting the images later.

The other option is to set the camera to give you jazzier images (more contrast and saturation) right out of the camera. The advantage is less post processing time. The images look good as is. The disadvantage is if you want to do more work with the image later on, you risk banding, pixelation, and other problems, especially if you want to make large prints.

You aren't limited to one or the other of course and can set up your 5D in several different ways, depending on your needs and preferences.

For whatever it's worth, I have three articles on how I set up my 5D:

http://jimdoty.com/Digital/5d_menu_settings/5d_menu_settings.html

And an illustration of post processing with a D30:

http://jimdoty.com/Digital/Fixing_Camera_Files/fixing_camera_files.html

Have fun with your 5D.

Jim

Set it on P (program exposure)

set the iso for 200 in good light, 800 in poor light, H indoors (H is 3200 ISO, you will have to set a custom function to get this - until you have found out how to do it, use 1600 ISO indoors).

Press menu, set picture style to landscape for all your shooting at present.

If you want to try black and white, set picture style to monochrome, yellow filter.

As soon as you are happy with the camera, you should think about switch to using RAW and processing the files using the Canon DPP software. Even then, you can keep to the picture styles above to simplify processing.

Puzzled that you say you don't get "great resolution". Do you mean the images are blurred?

What shutter speed and conditions? You don't have your lens switched to manual focus? Are

you viewing through a laptop or on the LCD display?

What is wrong with the exposure - under, overexposed?

Can you post a sample image?