of fire in cold temps. I went out at -35c. I had put the camera in

the fridge first of all. Anyrate it lasted about 15 minutes and it

was done. I had alternative batteries but that was no magic bullet

either. I found the auto focus would now work either. I also brought

along my 10d and that never fared any better. Has anyone gone out in

lower temps say -10c and experienced problems.This is my first year

of using digital in the winter months so any data would be

interesting to hear

My 10D gave some error messages when I had it out last winter, about -10 to -15C. It was

the 50/1.4 lens, never had any problem with other lenses. Otherwise no problem, been

out on long hikes, down to -20 with the 10D with no problem. Only frozen fingers.

Haven't tried the 1DM2 yet at these temps, not so cold yet over here.

/Anna

I think the short answer is that the camera simply wasn't designed for cold temps, per the manual. I've worked in much colder temps with full manual bodies quite a bit, Nikon F1's, FM2's etc. The only issue there was the film tended to shatter if I used a fast winder. Slow and easy was the rule. No problem though, since the winders tended to die before the camera got too cold. I usually just pre-cooled the lenses and let the bodies stay warmer until the last minute. Don't think I'd try that with an $8000 digital body though. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

I see you moved from England to Canada. I made the move from Canada to Florida a decade ago, so for me the point is moot. Enjoy the cold!<div>00AXHb-21041884.JPG.4cf863fe2f5c80e7ea59d6724ec14408.JPG</div>

Glen,

your post seems to infer that you expected the camera to work reasonably well in those conditions. I think your expectations were too high. Canon give the lower operating temperature for the camera as 0 degrees c. I've used mine at -10c and it worked ok but -35c is pushing it a bit, wouldn't you agree?

For those things I still keep an old Canon EF with two or three FD primes like the FD 28/2.8 and a FD 50/1.4. That combo will cost about 120-150$. The EF works even fine without batteries (you need a manual light meter though). Never tried it at such extreme temperatures though, but there's a good chance it will work. Here is the part of the EF manual (which says that the -20C limit is mainly due to the batteries, but as said, it works without for shutter speeds 1/1000-1/2s and B):<div>00AXMr-21044984.jpg.6281df21ec8eab462056551d8ab87701.jpg</div>

I am just trying to see what temps I can shoot at with these eos digital cameras. I like the cold weather shoooting. The photographs usually portray the mood of the cold. Plus you know no other photographers are going to be out there so they have some uniqness about them. I just sold all my cold weather film camera nikon fe 2 and dont want to get a film camera again to shoot in cold weather. But I have got the response I wanted from this question so satisfied in a way.

Aside from the more obvious battery problems at cold temperatures, it's a shame that the camera manufacturers don't budget a bit of the cost of those multi-thousand dollar 'pro' cameras they make, for decently spec'ed plastics, lubricants, and electronics.

The automotive industry licked this problem a long time ago. If you look through any electronics catalog for automotive spec'ed parts, you'll see that they are designed to work through temperature ranges that typically far exceed what a human would find comfortable. Aside from -40C being the usual at the low end (and I have personally operated a vehicle at -50C), underhood electronics must also work at temperatures far exceeding the boiling point.

Of course, such items cost more than consumer parts, but they get designed into every modern vehicle, because they have to. An auto that quits working at -10C is just not an option.

What's really mysterious (to me) is Canon's statements about the operating/storage temperature range for their high-end cameras, as well as the anecdotal evidence I see posted. They must be sharing a good many inferior consumer-rated parts with their non-pro line to have such poor temperature specs. And Canon isn't the only one to pull this sleight of hand. Aside from the big sensor, just what are we paying for in a 'pro' camera, if it isn't the ability work in all kinds of extreme environments?

For all the folks that argued long and hard that the Digital Rebel was of an inferior build, and therefore, was not a 'serious' camera, I would ask, "Where's the beef?" Show me a 'pro' digital camera that is spec'ed to work in 'pro' temperatures, and I'll be satisfied that the extra cost is well spent.

I would say 15 minutes continuous exposure is pretty good going. I would suggest keeping in inside your jacket (that inside the outer thermal layer) and removing it only to shoot. The good news is that the colder the sensor the less noise there is.

An alternative to opening your jacket is an insulated bag with some handwarmers in it. I would stick with the battery ones for safety but that is up to you.

Actually I think the majority of Antartic photography is now digital and mostly with unmodified cameras (many P&S). It was some Antartic gallery where I picked up the gem about handwarmers.

Incidentally the remote release is a wonderful thing for triggering the camera in the cold.

interesting, while traveling in china i met a german "test team", from an independent testing lab. they had the 1DMKII with them and we chated. they told me the main problme is the sensor. it simply cant take these temperatures. (don't ask me in detail i'm not a technician) they have some other guys in the same company who went with a bunch of cameras (new nikon, kodac etc) to all parts of the world for testingvand it defenetley failed in greenland and the sahara. besides that i envy these guys, for obvious reasons, i guess these new digital slr's are not ready yet to withstand this extrem conditions, sure if your are a national geograhic photographer who has like 6 backup cameras, all in heated boxes and 2 assistants who take care of them like newborn babies, sure you can use them min rotation but i guess that's not the issue here.

I have shot for four hours at a time at -20F. That's the coldest I've been out with my MKII

so far. I don't know about autofocus becaues I'm shooting northern lights at night and it's

all at infinity, manual, but I have no problem with that temperature. I'll be disappointed if

the MKII can't shoot at -35F or -40F (which is the same at -40C). Even my little Sony f717

had no problem at those temps. That blurb above that cautions people to keep their

camera in their coat is nonsense. That will just cause condensation. Once the camera is

cold, keep it cold. It works or it doesn't. My spare BATTERIES I keep warm (heat back in my

backpack is what i use to keep them warm.