Just how wonky is your 28-135mm IS USM lens?

david_boily

Andrew, how old is your 28-135? Mine wasn't very "creepy" when it was brand new, but got "creepier" after a few months.

It's normal that the 28-135 is a bit wonky. The build quality is not great, but the optical quality is good (many people regard it as Canon's best consumer level zoom lens in that regard) and it's very versatile.

Wonky. Takes good pics though. So, not too wonky after all...

The degree of wonkiness can be assessed as about 0.5-0.7mm range when extended to 135mm. Can't provide any better info, my wonkometer is out of whack (or should I say it is whacky ?) The degree of whackiness of my wonkometer sadly is not known ;)

Well thanks everyone for your responses, I feel that my lens is probably within tolerances (-1 to 0.75 Wk/mm).

For those who are curious, the wonkometer and the wonky scale were invented by German watch maker, Baron Dieter Von Wonkburg. Although his watches were some of the most beautiful timepieces made in the 18th century, the couldn't tell time for S$%t. Apparently Baron Von Wonkburg suffered from arthritis and as a result he had trouble tightening the screws of his watches. Well, within a short period of time, the mechanism inside would loosen and stop working, sometimes coming apart all together. As a result people began reffering to anything loose of out of adjustment as "Wonky". I

OK I made all that up, but damn if you didn't get right away what I meant by is your 28-135 wonky!

Cheers,

Dave

Maybe I don't understand the the cocept of Zoom Creep or maybe I am not as lucky as the rest of you. I have the 28-135 lens and have little to no creep when I hold the camera/lens parallel to the ground. However, If I am shooting vertically down (toward ground) and have the lens zoomed toward the wide end, the lens creeps all the way toward the telephoto end. If I am shooting vertically up (toward sky) and have the lens at the telepgoto lens, the lens creeps all the way to the wide end. This is a lot more than a few mm and has been a major source of annoyance. If I am shooting subjets that don't move, e.g. still life, I use a piece of gaffers tape to hold the zoom in place. This is the only real issue I have with what is to me a very good walk-around lens given the price.

Thanks John! I took these wonky photos in <a href="http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/

~hiro/italia/cinque-terre/">Italy</a> using the 28-135IS. I also used a consumer 24-85

when I was in <a

href="http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~hiro/tibet/">Tibet</a>. I think these lenses can

take very good photos... But my next lens will be a 17-40L, probably in the coming

months.