Help Me Understand Flash Sync

nana

This only applies to flash usage - in fact mostly for fill flash. So if you are using fill flash in bright daylight it gives you more options - like using a wider aperture or if you are using fill flash in daylight action shots, to stop motion with the 1/500 shutter.

Generally if you're using flash in relative darkness, even 1/90 will stop motion - that's because the the flash only fires for thousandths of a second and the ambient light is too low to register any motion blur.

-A

Sync speed refers to minimal shutter speed at which the whole shutter is open for the flash. If flash is the main source of light, any image (other than a bullet) will be sharp since the typical flash lasts only about 1/10,000 of a second, any image whether taken at a shutter speed of 1/500, 1/50, 1/5 or whatever seconds.

The main benefit of a fast sync speed is the possiblity to shoot with fill-in flash in the sun and use shallow depth of field, such as at 1/500, f/4 for 100 ISO film for example. You could not do that with a 1/100 sync speed, because you would need 1/100 f/9.3 for the same scene, flash, and film .

No, your flash typically freezes the action. Flash durations can be as short as 1/10000 second or less, depending on the distance to your subject, and the power level of the flash. The shutter speed allows you to balance flash and ambient lighting levels. Using 1/500 second, you could use a wider aperture and still have a nicely exposed background around your flash lit subject. Or, if your flash is being used for filling in shadows, you can adjust the primary exposure for the highlights by your shutter speed and aperture together. Having a wider range of shutter speeds gives you a wider range of usable apertures.

Like Robert said, the main advantage to most people is that you're able to use a wider aperture with outdoor fill flash, for less depth of field (better background blur). Sports shooters will like it too because with fast action you will see some blur.

When they say it has a 1/500 flash sync, that's the maximum speed. It doesn't mean you have to use it - but it's another tool to have and in this case, the more the better. Note that the D2 cameras are even 1/250.

<i>So when I am shooting a concert - say a typical Indian dance with a mixture of colored lights, using a high speed sync is not going to help me get sharper image, right?</i>

<p>No, it won't. Unless you are using flash and the light is so bright that you really want fast shutter speeds - unlikely.<p> In your situation ambient light photography with a fast lens and high ISO setting would give you the best results. I am assuming of course that you intend to do ambient light photography. In which case - FLASH sync has nothing to do with it.

<p>-A

I understand that by sharpness you mean the lack of motion blur. Maybe you can try to use motion blur as a creative element? E.g., using longer shutter times (say 1/30 or 1/60) synchronize the flash to the second shutter movement. With very short shutter speeds you won't catch the dynamics of dancing ...

Haven't done anything like that but if I would have the chance I'd give it a try.

Yes, I am trying to shoot with ambient light and avoid motion blur. But I also want to use fill flash so that the shadows on the face have some detail.

Did a concert shoot last week end. Out of 190 clicks, 45 turned usable(or viewable!) May be 20 can be printed after some PS.

What ISO and shutter speed are you using? On a D100 you should be able to get decent images at ISO800. I'd try ambient light with no flash, with a fast lens like the 50 f1.4. The camera will autofocus quicker and more accurately with a fast lens in low light - depending on what lens you're using, that might be part of the problem as well. Once you get what you want without flash, then try throwing fill flash into it as well.