SWC User Questions

paul_neuthaler

1. What is the general, if there is one, feeling about using a haze filter in

front of the Biogon?

2. If you use a filter, or if you do not, is the screw-in filter holder &

protruding lens configuration enough to block flare without using a shade (as

Freytag says in The Hasselblad Way, 1978, p.120?

My feeling is that, SWC is pretty flare resistant. unless strong light is direct from the front, in this case flare cannot be prevented by hood. I am using it with a UV filter without hood most of the time. Having said that, I had been taught to use hood in any situation.

The attached photos show flare under direct strong light.<div>00ILmO-32845384.jpg.678e6280631c796d88422fdcfa804b2d.jpg</div>

I use my SWC (CT*-version) outdoors and so there is always a filter attached for pretection. The SWC is quite flare resistant and I often have the sun within the frame. The SWC handles this well. Of course there are sometimes aperture-shaped reflexes somewhere in the picture but even then the pictures show good contrast. The downside of the SWC is that the viewfinder will give you no clue about possible reflexes.

The Freytag Buch was writen much earlier, maybe the shade was not available then. Of course I always have the shade attached to the SWC (and every lens I use) although it may not help very much on this wide angle lens.

You may attach a filter to the lens for peace of mind (if you fear damage to the front element) and take it of for flare-critical occasions.

Ulrik