New LF User

Vlad Soare

Hi, guys,

<br><br>

As some you may remember, I was recently inquiring about a Crown Graphic as a

camera for a LF beginner (myself, that is). At the same time I also investigated

other options, read all I could find about different systems and about large

format in general, and kept an eye on eBay.<br>

Although I like the Crown very much, I decided that it's not really suitable for

learning the insides of the large format. I want movements. Shooting 4x5

handheld is nice, but I thought that having lots of movements is even nicer. A

Technika would offer both, but it's way out of my budget. So, the choice

remained between a wooden field camera and a monorail. Also, I wanted to get a

complete kit right from beginning, because I didn't want to search for and buy

every single accessory separately, and pay separate shipping charges and custom

taxes for each one. And I wanted to make sure that accessories, especially lens

boards, will be available for it.<br>

To cut a long story short, I decided for a Calumet.

<br><br>

I've just won an auction for a complete 4x5 kit, consisting of a Calumet

monorail camera, a Rodenstock Ysarex 210mm f/6.3, and other accessories. I don't

know if I can post a link to the auction, because I remember trying this once

and getting an error message. I'll try it anyway. It's <a

href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200223017128><u>this

one</u></a>.

<br><br>

My first question is, what do you guys thing about my choice? I don't know

anything about this particular model (in fact, I don't even know which model

that is - maybe you could identify it from the pictures?). All I know is that

Calumets are generally highly regarded by people who have used them to get into

LF, which is why I chose one, too. <br>

<br>

Secondly, since I also get a Polaroid film holder, I'd like to use it. It's

called a "Polaroid 545 Land Film Holder". Does anybody know which type of film

it takes? Also, is there a Fuji counterpart?

<br><br>

That's it for now, but I'll probably get back with new questions soon. :-)<br>

Thank you.

The Polaroid 545 holder takes Polaroid 4x5 instant sheet film. Unfortunately Polaroid has already stopped making all of their films. There is supposed to be inventory of some types to the 4th quarter of this year, but dealers don't seem to have some of these in stock. I guess Polaroid is having problems making deliveries. The list is at http://www.polaroid.com/ifilm/en/index.html -- 4x5 Products.

Fuji still makes 4x5 instant film, but Fuji's 4x5 instant films don't fit this holder.

Your 545 holder still has a use: it can be used with non-instant film made by Kodak and Fuji: Kodak Readyloads and Fuji Quickloads. See http://www.butzi.net/reviews/readyquick.htm. Generally I recommend beginners to learn to use regular filmholders becaues Readyloads and Quickloads cost significantly more and you don't want to be too cautious in making photos as you learn. But they are convenient and avoid dust, so if you have the money...

Thanks, Michael. I know Polaroid films are out of production, but I was hoping there was something equivalent from Fuji. Oh well... tough luck...<br>

I'm not really attracted to Quickloads or Readyloads. I prefer the regular holders.

The link worked fine, and it looks to me like an excellent choice of equipment for a starter (although the price got a little higher than I would have gone).<P>You'll need a good tripod, and a box of film, and if everything is in working order you'll be set to go. Check the bellows CAREFULLY for light leaks, and also be sure the light meter hasn't gone bad over the many years since it was new.<P>Good luck.

Thanks, Bill. I have a tripod which is excellent with my RB67, though I'm not sure whether it will work with the Calumet or not. Supporting a big metal chunk is one thing, supporting a long bellows waiving in the wind is another. Oh well, that remains to be seen.<br>

I already have a cable release. I'll use an old shirt/jacket/whatever for a dark cloth until I get (or make myself) a real one. I guess I'll also need a loupe, and I believe that a slide viewing loupe won't do (something about the thickness of the ground glass, if I remember correctly, a slide viewing loupe would be focused on the outer side of the glass, while the film plane actually corresponds to the inner side). I'll try to manage without one for a while, until I can get a good one. <br>

Oh, and I'll have to try tray developing until I get a daylight developing tank. I was thinking of trying out some orthochromatic film, so I can develop it under red lighting, because tray developing in complete darkness is a pretty scary thought. :-)

I think Fuji does make instant films that fit that holder but they aren't available in the US yet. All I have seen is pack films here. Maybe now that Polaroid is dead Fuji can or will import more of their instant sheet films. It is my understanding that Quickloads work better than Readyloads in the 545.

About a week after I got my 545 holder Polaroid announced that it was discontinuing its film lines. Aggravating to say the least. I haven't used Quickloads or Readyloads because they are so much more expensive than sheet film.

I was thinking that instead of getting a changing bag and loading the holders on location (an idea that doesn't really appeal to me), I could get a pack of Quickloads. I would normally only use regular film (loaded at home), but if I happened to run out of loaded holders and stumble upon the picture of my life then I could use a Quickload.<br>

Does the 545 holder simply slide behind the ground glass like a regular holder? Or will I have to remove the glass?

Vlad:

I've always removed the groundglass and attached the back (or anything else with a considerable thickness) with the little graflock thingies (that's what those two skinny slots on your 545 back's edges are for).

Unless you've got a good free moving bail to lift the glass, this beats struggling with getting the 545 in place and possibly fouling your setup by moving the camera. It will slide behind the glass, though.