24 or 28 to replace 35?

seb v.

FWIW, a CV 50/1.5 and a Leica 28/2 do it for me mostly. I have a CV 21/4 I love shooting. So that's a basic kit of 50/28/21. Works well. The 28 can be "widish" or more "normal" looking depending how you compose. I like it.

I have a CV 35/2.5P. I love the build and the "look" of the images this lens makes. But I don't use it all that much. I do think that a faster 35/1.4 ASPH might make its way into my kit as a good all purpose carry around lens.

On a trip to Bali years ago I thought I'd go 'light' with just a 24mm and 50mm. Thought it

would get me using that 24mm more. As it turned out on my way through Singapore I

found a great deal on a 35mm Summicron and bought it. Guess what...? 80% of my photos

were - as usual - with the 35mm. The 24/50 range covers what I need, but I can't imagine

the M-series without that inbetween 35mm.

Although you'll hear the 28mm is too close to the 35mm to have both, I find this only

partially true. I've even travelled with both, and they do different things when needed. My

35mm Summilux focused to 1 meter which sometimes was not enough in a tight place;

old city side-streets, inside with people, and even landscapes the 28mm just gives a bit

'more', but the right amount of that more. I find I use the 28mm here in Japan where I

used the 35mm when I lived in Thailand. 35mm for me is 'normal', 28mm is wide, 24mm

really wide, and 50mm is my 'concentrate'.

Depending if you want a add-on viewfinder, I think the 28mm is good enough. I usually travel with either the 28/50 combo or simply a 35 if I want a compact system. I don't think 28 is "narrow" enough for portraits but a 35mm is definite good, with a bit of DOF as well. I'd go for a 28. I am currently using a Elmarit, which I love the color saturation.

I have used the 28 Elmarit extensively for buildings and interiors and find I would seldom

need anyting wider - in fact I sometimes have to crop. I use a separate viewfinder; the M6

viewfinder is only just wide enough for 28mm frames. As others have said, there is

minimal distortion (none that's noticeable to me, anyway) but of course you always have to

be careful of vertical lines to avoid "keystoning". I tried a Voigtlaender 25 but it's

uncoupled and I find the rendition of the Leitz lens matches my other lenses. Though the

28 is great, many peole rave about the razor sharp images produced with the 24ASPH

which is without a doubt among Leica's finest lenses ever.