clickeye

I've found assistant photographers to be invaluable during weddings

for catching some shots, such as when the bride and groom suddenly

turn away during a kiss. And besides, it's enjoyable to be working

with someone instead of working alone. I use assistants who are

photographers, shooting along with me whenever they're not needed to

hold a light pole. But how about all of you? How many of you

photographers use assistants at your wedding gigs? And those of you

who do use assistants, what uses do you make of them?

I act as an assistant here in Central Florida, and I hire assistants when I have my own weddings. I hire shooters, not bag carriers. For everything but the formals, I have them shooting at a 45 degree angle to my position, or over my shoulder, or roving at the reception getting candids. For the formals, I like their help in moving lights, getting the next group of people ready to come forward, etc. I'm slowly transitioning to shooting more weddings than assisting. 2005 is shaping up to be a great year for me.

I'm more curious about pay. What do you pay your assistants in your geographical areas for a long wedding day (6 - 9 hours of wedding day coverage)? Do you pay in a lump sum fee or do you pay by the hour?

"Good for you... having an assistant means you are making good money."

No. Having an assitant means you are responsible, care about not missing shots behind you, and working professionally.

Philip, I pay $250 CDN for second shooter/assitant. $150 for go-fors with a car and cell phone.

To answer the question of how much I pay my wedding assistants: I pay USD $25 per hour. I charge for weddings on an hourly basis, with a five-hour minimum. Everyone who has assisted me so far is a young (well, young in the business, anyway) freelancer like myself. Sometimes I hire an assistant one weekend and then end up assisting her the next weekend. We're all agreed to pay one another the same hourly rate. We split any tip fifty-fifty.

I know that my pay rate is high. When I've assisted more experienced wedding photographers, the ones making the big money on the big weddings, they've always paid me a flat $100.

Just a bag carrier and camera loader gets anywhere from $150. to $350 around here.

I pay our second shooter anywhere from $400. to $800. depending on the size of the

wedding and whether I can get the client to spring for part of the expense ( I try to 100%

of the additional cost, but sometimes split the difference 50/50). For that I expect a rough

edit of their digital files, and a 13X19 contact sheet. It doesn't have a price threshold of

$3,500 or more ... it has more to do with the mix expected by the clients. If they want a

lot of family groups and pix of their college pals, then I get the second shooter to do

those. That leaves me free to concentrate on the B&G and candids. Can't be in two places

at once.

However, I do shoot alone also. My wife usually accompanies me on those jobs and does a

wonderful job of handling the Bride and gathering/styling the formals and portraits. She is

free ... well, sort of ... ; -)

Derek, the more you write, and lie, the less everyone takes you seriously.

It's a simple question; can you provide a better product on your own versus having a second shooter or a properly trained assistant anticipating your needs?

We don't even carry a bag around at weddings...we include all negs ...so the clients would be viewing any unacceptable images, an assistant may shoot ~ and I would be paying for the cost. Many of our B&G really don't like to be photographed at all...so one more shooter would make them uncomfortable~~maybe too paparazzi! I started as an assistant--but was charged by the lead photgrapher; $1 dollar > for any unacceptable shots. Especially if a neg was under-exposed (86 denisty min! yikes.) So I almost ended up paying him to assist. ^^^I learned quickly^^^ He was paying me $125 per hour to assist, at the end. Our weddings are just so "low-key" ~~ a second shooter would be thorn.

Other than 'c jo gough' I'm beginning to think I am the only one who was taken advantage of as an assistant/second shooter. For the first month or so I was a bag carrier but I soon became an integral part to my boss's business. As a second shooter I added a style that was lacking prior to my arrival. I began making $8/hr and after 1.5 years I was up to $12/hr. Did I mention that within my first year I had won an honorable mention at the WPPI annual conference for one of the photos I took as an assistant(and I hadn't ever worked professionally prior to that job)? Not to mention that clients regularly complimented about both me and my work to my boss. Oh, and I made it to every wedding my boss scheduled, a problem my former boss now has with all of the people hired to replace me. There was one wedding I didn't make because my sister-in-law was getting married in another city, and even though I gave months of advanced notice I never heard the end of that one. Am I a little resentful? Probably, oh well.

Just to follow up, I pay $150 flat rate to assistants who shoot at my weddings. I get paid the same when I assist. I suspect I could make a bit more by working with other photographers, but I like the guys I'm working with now. Good people.

The benefit to having a second shooter is that you will get more print sales if they're any good. And they can lower your stress level considerably. So I like to have them along. Plus it gives them an opportunity to learn (I always learn something as an assistant, too). $150 out of my pocket is not a big deal when I make it up with referral business and print orders because they see I take my business seriously enough to bring an assistant. It's not meant as a slight to anyone here - you've got to understand that one of the questions brides in my area always ask is, "Do you bring an assistant?" The only time I don't bring an assistant is for smaller weddings where it doesn't make sense.

• 3 years later...