Cold-Weather Meter Problem with Bessa...?

steven_forrey

After nearly 3 years of trouble-free service in all kinds of

situations, the meter in my R2 conked out a couple of days ago in

the cold. It wasn't SO cold -- upper 20s -- and after a few minutes

inside, the meter was working again. I'd hoped it was just one of

those weird things, but the same thing happened again yesterday.

The batteries are nearly new.

Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks in advance --

This weekend I was surprised how the cold weather (10?F) affected the batteries in my cameras. Whilst I was out shooting some snow scenes, the 6 brand new Duracells in my D100 lasted about 30 shots. My M6 had old batteries that lasted at least 36 shots. At least I could still use the M6 - the D100 was as much use as a carrying a deckchair in the snow.

On Stephen Gandy's website there is a story about a guy who used a Bessa R on a scientific

field trip to Antarctica and the camera held up well. I have been using my Bessa R pretty

regularly in frigid New England temps down to the single degrees F. I just received my R3A

and haven't used it outdoors yet. I'm planning to take it with me to Florida and give it

heavy-duty use for the next couple of months. Every now and then (not often) I get some

crappy batteries. The only camera that really gives me battery trouble is a Nikon Coolpix

4100 which "eats" AAs.

Alkaline batteries don't produce full output at cold temperatures. Rechargeable NiCad batteries (for example) perform better. It is possible that the Duracells that sagged in the cold might still have useable energy once they have returned to room temperature.

There seems to be a lot of variation in strength even in silver oxide batteries. I usually buy Varta because a couple others that cost the same only last half as long and aren't as good in the cold. As far as AA batteries, there is a huge difference in longevity between a couple name brands and some of the discount store house brands.

The stretchy Zing (or Xing) cases that Wolf, Ritz and others sell seem to help stretch batteries in the cold.